Chapter 10

As the sun was setting the next evening, Kosrae raced to the beach. Etrela was waiting to hear the verdict. He surfaced as near shore as he could get, and smiled at Etrela's expectant face. "Yes. Father agreed. He will use the Trident to turn you into a mermaid!"

Etrela beamed. "I knew he would!" She knelt, took Kosrae's hand and looked into his blue eyes. "Thank you so much for everything, Kosrae," she said with meaning. Kosrae could only look back into her smiling green eyes and smile back. This would make her so happy. They could be together, forever.
The next morning, King Poseidon arrived at the meeting place, led by Kosrae. He had white hair and a long white beard. He looked old, and yet had youthful looking eyes. He held the Trident in his hand. It resembled a huge, three-pronged, elaborate fork, with a large gem beneath the center prong.

Etrela stood at the water's edge, glowing with happiness. This was the day her dreams came true. As the king and his son arrived, Etrela curtsied and smiled. "Your majesty, it is an honor to meet you. Your son has told me a great deal about you."
"I'm told that you wish to become a mermaid. Is this so?"
"Yes, your majesty. I would like that very much."
"Very well, then. Wade out in the water up to your waist."
Etrela obeyed. "Is this deep enough?"
"Yes, that's fine. Now, hold still. This will not hurt," the king pointed the Trident at the sky. The gem started glowing brighter and brighter. He then pointed it at Etrela. She held her breath and closed her eyes.
A beam of light shot out of the Trident's gem and surrounded Etrela. It lifted her up in the air slightly, but she didn't notice. She felt tingling in her legs as they merged into one, and grew into a dark green fishtail. A minute later, she opened her eyes in surprise as she toppled into the water. She wondered briefly if she would be able to breathe underwater. She gasped and found she could. She tried to swim by fanning her fin and moved a bit. "Oh, thank you, thank you! Oh, it's so beautiful! My own tail!" She ran her hand over it. "The scales are gorgeous! See how they shimmer?" She swam up to the king and threw her arms around his neck. "Thank you!" Then she checked herself and pulled back, embarrassed. "Sorry. That was out of line," she mumbled.

"Not at all. Anyone would have been just as happy as you to become a mermaid."

Etrela smiled at him, and then swam to Kosrae. "Thank you for convincing him, Kosrae. Now we can be together, in one world instead of two."

"Etrela," Kosrae held her against his chest. "I love you. Will you marry me?"

Etrela smiled and a tear slipped down her cheek. "Yes. I love you too. I was wondering when you would ask!"

Kosrae pulled her close. "Are you sure you want to give up your old life, forever?"

"Why, yes. I don't have any family to worry about, and no friends. I've mostly just lived by myself in the forest." She said thoughtfully.

Kosrae smiled. "Then let me show you my world." He took Etrela's hand, thanked his father, and swam out to sea.

They swam together, talking, with Kosrae pointing out landmarks. "See over there?" He pointed. "A sunken ship. I often go in there to look around. Would you like to come with me?" The ship might have been an old pirate ship, by the looks of it. It was perched precariously on some jagged rocks, and was covered in moss and barnacles.

"Actually, I'd rather not right now. Sunken ships are so sad. Maybe later,"

Kosrae nodded in consent. He led Etrela past the ship and continued the tour. They entered the city, and once they arrived at the palace, Etrela stopped in awe. It was so vast that the other large buildings seemed tiny. The intricate carvings on the pillars represented who must have been famous merpeople. Kosrae led her through the huge door. A young, beautiful girl was in the grand hall, awaiting Kosrae's return. "Oh, Kosrae! You're back! I've missed you!" She swam up close to him. Her long, shiny blond hair trailed behind her like gold. "Oh! Who's this?" She asked curtly, looking at Etrela. Kosrae introduced her. "Alivina, meet Etrela. Etrela, this is Alivina."

Etrela extended her hand. "It's nice to meet you, Alivina."

Alivina stared at Etrela's outstretched hand. "Oh, you shake it." Etrela told her quickly. Alivina just continued staring and Etrela pulled her hand back, embarrassed. "Where are you from?" Alivina asked.

Etrela just looked at her mutely. She didn't know what to say. Should she say she was a human and came from the land? Probably not. Kosrae intervened for her. "Etrela is– was-- a human. She's from the land. My father turned her into a mermaid at her request."

Alivina looked at Etrela in surprise. "Is this true? How did you know we even exist?"

"Kosrae. We met and wanted to marry, so Kosrae pleaded with the king to turn me into a mermaid." Etrela watched as Alivina's gaze turned from politely interested to glaring when she said "marry". Etrela guessed that this girl liked Kosrae also and felt a slight twinge of dislike for this girl at the same time.

"Well, I have to go. Nice meeting you, Etrela." She said coldly. Etrela noticed, but she wasn't so sure Kosrae did. "Bye, Alivina." He called after her. As she left, Kosrae turned to Etrela. "Sorry about that." He said, apologizing. "This way to your room," He led her past many marble columns and carvings. On the floor were many large mosaics, some inlaid with gold. Kosrae opened the door to her room and showed her inside. Etrela gasped. "This is where I'm staying?"

"That's right, but I have to go now; I have some things I need to do. Someone will be with you shortly." And he closed the door.

The magnificent room was richer than she had ever imagined. The furnishings were plentiful and quite well made. The main feature was a large canopy bed made of a clamshell, complete with what looked like pink seaweed curtains. There were many comfortable chairs and a bookshelf. Etrela wondered how the books didn't fall apart underwater. She opened one of them and found the paper was made of something smooth and waterproof, but she didn't know what. A soft knock on the door startled her, but she went to the door and opened it. There was a young mermaid, probably not more that 15 years old. She had olive skin, brown hair and lovely brown eyes. Her tail was a beautiful shade of silver that shimmered in the light. "Hello, Miss Etrela. My name is Sirena. I will be your handmaid from now on. If you need anything, just ask me."

"Hello, Sirena. No, I don't need anything right now, but if you would like to stay and chat, I would like that. So much has happened to me lately!"

"Of course, Miss Etrela," She came in and lowered herself in one of the chairs. Etrela sat in a chair across from her and gave Sirena and account of her story. They talked for about an hour, and then Sirena got up and said, "I'm sorry, but now I have to help with getting dinner ready. It is a big event. Will you be coming?"

"Of course. What should I wear?"

"Um, probably something fancy. There's a wardrobe over there that you can look in." She motioned with her hand to the closet and was gone.