The Incident

I managed to get away with faking sick to my mom for two days, but by the third she'd caught on. That morning she even drove me to school, just to make sure I went. 

But if I had known what would happen, if I had known that the day was going to end like it did, I never would have gone. 

As I arrived I saw Nat in her cheerleading outfit, and knew immediately I was missing something. 

"Nat?" I asked as she turned around to face me. Her face filled with relief. 

"Oh thank god you're here!" she exclaimed, pulling me into a hug. She grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the gym. "Hurry up, we have to practise before first period!!"

 "Hurry up, we have to practise before first period!!"

"Nat, what are you talking about?" 

She looked at me like I was crazy. "We have our Presentation Night Routine tonight. We have to practise today, and you've got to learn the last 30 seconds. You've been away, remember?" 

"Oh," I replied, remembering that was tonight. "Yeah." 

"Great!" Nat exclaimed. "Now come on!"

...

I'd hated the warm up at cheerleading the most, but today was utter hell. 

"Come on Sam! Knees up!" shouted the coach as I barely lifted my legs, my body not allowing it. 

I was last to come in after jogging round the oval.

 Last to finish the core routine.

And couldn't do more than 3 sit-ups at a time.

"Are you ok, Sam? Do you need to talk with the coach" Nat asked quite a few time, but all I answered with was a curt- 

"No, no, I'm fine, just tired."

Finally practise was over, and we hit the showers. There was an hour until the Presentation Night Game, where we were the opening act. 

As I hopped out of the showers and started getting dressed again, I couldn't help notice the tiniest of differences to my stomach. There was the slightest tiny bit of rounding to my stomach, so small that only I would notice, but it scared me shitless. 

It'll be ok, it's not noticeable at all, I told myself as I got changed. There was another voice that replied right away- But it will be