Chapter 23

Logan's POV

I was in the middle of hanging out with Daytona when my phone rang. The caller ID came up as 'Unknown' and that meant it could only be one person.

I cast a glance at Daytona before taking the call, wondering if she knew or not.

"What's up Cooper?" The guy on the other side of the phone took heavy, deep breaths.

"You took her to a fucking race?" Cooper raised his voice to me on the other end. I had to hold the phone away from my ear so he didn't burst my eardrums.

In a hushed voice I responded, "Yes I did. She needed it okay? She's– going through a lot right now and she needed to get away."

"Yeah but your little 'get away' has put her in more danger then you think. He knows what she looks like now, and he'll stop at nothing to make us pay." I could hear Cooper sigh on the other end.

"What did she do that he's out to get her? I mean I know what you did, but what did Day do?" I wondered the last part out loud but a little quieter.

"Hey. Only I call her Day." I rolled my eyes at his immaturity, but ended up cracking a smirk because I was the same way. "She doesn't know what she did to him, but something she did in her past set him off, and I'm assuming she hasn't opened up to you yet."

I remained silent. How could Daytona, a fun loving, badass, caring and geeky girl, get someone as bad as Colton Derry riled up enough to hunt her down?

And why hadn't she opened up to me? She knew I was always going to be there for her, so why couldn't she open up about her past? Whatever reason it was, it seemed to be pretty damn good to hold on to it for this long.

"Whatever you do Logan, keep my baby sister safe please. I'm trying my best to help Jake out, and because of that I can't be around as much as I'd like, so please, promise me you'll always be there for her."

"I promise." I was getting ready to hang up the phone when he spoke again.

"Meet me in an hour. By the old abandoned park."

"Okay." I hung up and turned the knob to Daytonas room. I opened the door and heard a thud and a groan from the other side.

She was sitting on the floor, her face contorted in pain, "I swear I wasn't listening to your conversation."

I offered her my hand and pulled her up, "I've got to go. Business calls." I gave her a solders salute and walked down the stairs.

Mason and Jake were sitting on the couch watching Happy Death Day.  "Hey you two." I snuck up on them and at the sound of my voice they jumped out of their skin.

"Geez Logan. Trying to give us a heart attack?" Mason held a hand to his chest as if he was calming down his heart.

"He asked to meet us."

"When?" Mason's and Jake's face became a clean slate, wiped completely free from any previous emotion.

"An hour. By the old abandoned park." I gave them the information from my call with Cooper. "You know what this means don't you?"