Chapter 29

I woke up to the smell of mint and smoke.

It was a weird combination to say the least. I tried to remember who I knew that smelt like that, but I couldn't come up with anything. Nobody I knew smoked so often that their clothes smelt like smoke.

And then I realized the second thing. I was being carried. I opened my eyes, but the my vision was to blurry and I was so tired. I fell right back asleep.

~~~~🌸~~~~

When I woke up again, I was in a moving car. Street lights passed overhead and the smell of smoke was stronger in here.

I rolled my head to the side and looked out the window. Street signs passed by and I tried to read them off in my drunken state.

Berkley - 5
Richmond - 13
Hercules - 23

I knew these places. I studied them as a kid everytime we visited–

Oakland.

I was in freaking Oakland. No one I knew lives in Oakland.

Well except Aunt April, but she's 92.

Fear clutched my heart and I gripped the door handle, not wanting to turn and look at who I was driving with.

"Welcome to the land of the living."

Oh no.

I struggled to breath. It was like something was crushing my wind pipe and I grasped my throat to release whatever it was, but nothing was there.

Then all the air rushed back to me and I started to hyperventilate. My head became light and my stomach lurched. I had enough of these after Cooper's 'death' to know what's going on.

I scratched the door looking for the window button.

"Here don't puke in my car." The window fell and I stuck my head out trying to get fresh air to calm my panic attack down.

I took some deep breaths before I had gathered up enough courage to turn and look at the person on my left. As soon as I did, I wished I hadn't.

That tattoo under his left eye was still as bold as the day we met at the race. His blonde hair clung to his forehead and his erratic green eyes lit up when they met mine. "I told you I would get you Daytona. What's better then snagging you when you're drunk." I couldn't take my eyes off of him even when he tied a blindfold around me, throwing me into the black.

Logan's POV

"Hey it's Daytona. Leave a message at the beep."

"Dammit!" I threw my phone into her bed and ran my fingers through my hair. Mason, Jake and I had been trying to reach her for the past half hour, but we kept getting her voicemail each time we called her.

When she didn't come home, I called Jaxon asking if she was still at the party, but he told me he saw some guy carry her to his car.

I sat down at her desk with a huff.

Jake sat at her window seat and Mason sat on her bed. "Maybe we should tell Cooper."
Jake offered up.