Chapter 13

"Wake up, beautiful," Gray whispers in my ear and lightly traces the back of my leg with the tips of his fingers.

My reaction is a surprised gasp of a moan.  I smile and quickly roll onto my back to face him.  "Hi," I breathe.

"Good morning, sweetness."

My eyes dart to the black window.  "It's night time," I laugh.

"Good morning all the same because I love you all the time so what does it matter what time it is?"

I smile. "I love you too, Gray."

"No you don't," he jokes.  "You've been messing with Ian.  I can smell him."  He smiles widely. "No.  I'm just kidding.  I don't care about that."  He leans down and kisses me as deeply as he did the night that I told him I loved him for the first time and it brings me to tears again. "Do what you want with him, baby.  Just remember that I am the only one who can make you do that."

I grin and grab his shirt to pull his lips back down to mine.  We wrap our arms around each other and kiss deeply until we both want each other so badly that we must be connected.  I take care of Gray and he takes care of me.  Gray lightly traces his fingers along my legs before he grabs my hips and connects us.  My entire body is brought to the heat of our fire and passion as we make love through the night until finally we both must sleep.

Before I drift off Gray pushes my hair away from my neck and slowly sinks his fangs in to taste my blood.  For a second he lets blood flow from the wounds before he washes his tongue over them and licks the remaining blood from my neck.

He pulls me tightly against his chest and looks at me with hooded eyes.  "Your turn, baby," he says and cups my face in his hand.  He turns his head so I can get his neck just right and when I do I feel a gentle whirlwind of safety and comfort engulf my senses.  His blood lingers on my tongue and I taste the connection he has with me.  I feel the way he is selflessly mated to me.  I feel stirring in my belly -- a flutter of sorts -- that I have never felt in exchanging blood with Gray before.  This is a connection we have never had before and I feel myself slip into the same state as Gray with his hooded eyes.

Grey tightens his arms around me then loosens them to a comfortable sleeping tension.  We don't want to let go of one another.  This bliss is so much better than the world that we both must return to in the morning.

"Gray," I whisper.

"Yes, love?"

I smile at this new name of affection.  I like it.  "Have you ever hosted a human and forgot to lick the wounds?"

"Yes but they died.  It only took about a day or so for the infection to set into their blood stream and kill them."

"What would happen if they lived through the infection though?  Do you know of anyone who has?"

"I had a friend once who did but he was killed by another vampires mate for kissing her."

"What happened to him?"  I know I would have felt anxious if I wasn't already blissed out.

"The guy killed him.  Started by ripping his tongue out," he said.

"No. I mean, what did the bite do to him?"

"Oh!  Why didn't you just say that, honey?"  Grey tapped my nose with the tip of his finger then lightly kissed the place he had touched.  It made me giggle.  "He slowly turned into a half-er," he said.  "It wasn't like when a day walker turns and they sleep for days.  Instead they're awake for the whole event.  They are aware and very angry for about a week until the change is over.  Then they are very thirsty.  They have to find their maker and drink from them, as soon as possible, before they go on a killing spree."

"That's terrible," I whisper.

"I know.  That's why you have to be careful with humans."  Well, that was pretty much a slap in the face.  "I mean as long as they get a taste from their maker they're fine; only need a vile of blood every month or so.  I mean they're mostly human aside from that and they're almost as strong as us."  Gray wasn't making any of this easier to bare.  "But we shouldn't think about that right now.  Let's go to sleep, love," he says and kisses my forehead.

I laid my head down and closed my eyes.  At the moment all I felt was my endless connection to Gray but tomorrow I'd be feeling the endless guilt I felt toward Max.