Chapter Twelve

She watched Grant vanish down the tunnel that led to processing. It had been two days since he returned beaten and bruised, but he did seem to be recovering fast and Dr. Panta was pleased with his progress.

'Hope this works.' Orick said glancing behind them worried. 'I know keeping that transmitter locked in Xavier's office when we don't need it is the only solution, but I am worried the Uptop will get suspicious about all the dead air.'

'They will just think Grant is sleeping alone.' Zdana assured her father. 'We are taking him out of the Fens as soon as we finish this part of our plan. There will be less worry about someone saying something we do not want overheard.' He nodded still looking worried.

She was worried too but kept it inside for now. There was no point in it until something went wrong. Almost an hour later, Grant limped back with a heavy pack on his back. Zdana could see he was straining under its weight and was covered in sweat. Orick moved forward before she could and grabbed the pack. Grant struggled out of it and shot her poppa a grateful look. They walked in silence back to Main Street. A few people called to Grant, and he gave them short replies on his returning health. The three went past Main Street and to the first tunnel on the western wall. It led to the Mayor's office. Stine and Xavier was waiting for them.

'Here you are Grant.' Xavier said

'Oh, uh Sherriff. Hello.' Grant replied taking a seat in the closest chair. He sounded nervous but looked relaxed.

'What have you got there?' Xavier asked. 'The doctor is going to have a fit if she sees you running around hauling gear for the miners. Let me help you with that.'

'Thanks, but it's not a miner's pack.' Grant said sounding worried 'I was going to take a trip down to the south mines, but my ribs are still too sore, so I am just going to go back home.'

'Well, all right then. Just try to rest up kid.' Xavier said accepting the bag with the transmitter in it. 'I have been in your shoes. Trust me boy, you don't want to be messing around before you heal.'

'Yes sir.' Grant replied.

'Zdana was looking for you. Drop that pack off and go find her before you go to sleep.' The sheriff said.

'Okay.' Grant said then the group was as quiet as they could be. Zdana thought over the lines she had been given. Once the right amount of time passed, the two played out a meeting and Zdana questioned him about his job up in the Uptop, then said they were being set out to scout new mining locations. He should be able to do it even with hurt ribs. Grant agreed then told her he was going to his new room to sleep. Once they faked him rifling through papers he yet out a loud yawn. Xavier left with the transmitter.

'This sucks.' Grant sighed the moment it was clear. He rubbed his good eye. The other was still swollen shut. 'Do you have any idea how much effort it is going to take to keep this up?'

'After today, not a lot.' Stine assured him. 'While you were resting, we recruited some trusted helpers. They will take the transmitter into the mines with them to fill some of the silence. As soon as we no longer need them listening in, then we arrange an accident and your transmitter is going to be broken.'

'We do not think they will want to risk coming down to replace it.' Zdana assured him. 'Poppa's distrust is going to make them want to avoid it at all cost.' Grant nodded as Orick set the bag on the mayor's small desk. Stine opened it frowning.

'The briefing is on top.' Grant told them. 'Take the rest of it and break it up between everyone. I will stick to my rations and other supplies.' Stine pulled a foil wrapped bar from the bag.