Chapter Thirty-Eight

"I want a divorce."

The words seemed to set off both the Old Madam and Cong Wei Yang, each for their own respective reasons. Shocked, Cong Wei Yang staggered back a few steps as if she'd just been hit.

"Divorce?" Cong Wei Yang shrieked. "I am General Cong's daughter. You can't divorce me! My father is the reason you're a minister!"

"Wei Yang!" Before she knew it, the Old Madam slapped Cong Wei Yang. "Shut your mouth."

There was a loud sound when skin had made harsh contact against skin, leaving behind a red welt. Cong Wei Yang staggered backwards, clutching her face, her eyes watering as she stared at the Old Madam in shock.

The Old Madam was now looking at her daughter-in-law in a new light. Was she always like this? The Old Madam always thought that jealousy was the root of Cong Wei Yang's behaviour.

Feng Huang, on the other hand, looked like he wanted to kill her. Her father...being the reason he was a minister? Ha! Feng Huang wanted to laugh; her words were simply ludicrous.

"Huang-er?"

Feng Huang wasn't interested in what his mother had to say. "Mother, if she behaves like this at home, how do you reckon she will at another's home?"

"Huang-er, you can't just divorce her. Cong Wei Yang hasn't broken any of the laws between a man and his wife. If you do, this General Cong won't stand for it."

Cong Wei Yang, at the side, shook her head. That's right, she hadn't done anything wrong. What is a servant to a noble?

"Not broken any laws?" The woman was vicious, vindictive and bitter. She tried to kill. Who would want a sword hanging around their neck all the time? General Cong was not invincible.

Feng Huang knew his mother was right. Now wasn't the time to divorce her, but a woman like Cong Wei Yang was dead weight.

Seeing her son conflicted, the Old Madam tried to persuade him. She pulled him to the side where they would be out of the earshot of others.

"Huang-er, General Cong's status is not to be taken lightly. Unless you have suitable evidence to cast doubt on the General himself, he's an obstacle you can't cross yet."

General Cong, though belligerent, was a war hero to many. The Feng House may have been a noble house, but compared to some, it wasn't as powerful.

Feng Huang closed his eyes and exhale deeply. Then he opened his eyes once more. "Sort her out," he told his mother. He needed a wife, not a banshee.

The Old Madam almost sighed in relief. Feng Huang walked over to Cong Wei Yang. He gripped her delicate chin between his thumb and forefinger and applied pressure.

"The next time anything of this sort happens, I won't divorce you, but kill you."

Bloodlust seeped out of Feng Huang's tone, and Cong Wei Yang's legs shook in fright.

"Husband," she called softly.

Ignoring her meek cry, Feng Huang left the scene to his mother and returned to his study. Cong Wei Yang fell to the ground and fainted away. The combination of the heat stroke and the fright had taken its toll on her.

The Old Madam shook her head. "Take the First Madam to her room and inform me when she awakens. In the meantime, no one is allowed to leave or exit the manor." She didn't want any unnecessary information spreading.

_________________

Feng Huang watched as his wife dolled herself up, spraying perfume and rubbing fragrant oils on her skin. Da Fan painted a pretty picture for him. Her red robe was tied just at the waist, exposing her bountiful breasts and shapely legs to him. Usually, she didn't show this much. Feng Huang was truly enjoying this to the fullest.

"Husband?" Feng Huang met Da Fan's gaze when he heard her calling sweetly. It had been almost a week since their passionate kiss and a month since they last joined as husband and wife. He watched Da Fan as she crawled up the bed, then laid on her back, exposing her bare legs in a clear, provocative manner.

Feng Huang gave Da Fan a devilish smile. "Wife is truly a temptress."

Da Fan smiled, making no comment. Feng Huang laid beside her and stretched out his hands, pulling her closer in his arms.

"Husband?" Da Fan sensed something was wrong. She was just about to ask him when she heard footsteps walk past her room and on the roof. As it was deathly silent, she could hear them.

"Wife, kiss me." Though he said that, Feng Huang closed his eyes and waited a few moments for whoever it was outside to be gone. When he was sure that that person had left, Feng Huang opened his eyes.

"I won't be with you for the next few days," he said in a low voice. "I've already informed Xin, who will see to it that my absence is not known immediately."

Da Fan didn't have to ask to know that Feng Huang was probably going to the borders to investigate. She didn't ask any questions, just curled up in his arms, and Feng Huang didn't say anymore. He knew Da Fan was a smart woman.

Da Fan got up early the next morning and quickly learned that Feng Huang was gone. She didn't question it; she just called Meirin and started her day.