⪻ 31 ⪼

⪻⪻⪼⪼

Returning to Northwich proved to be harder than I had originally anticipated, and I anticipated it to be quite difficult.

First, there was the moment when I drove across the bridge that caused the whole reason for the move. My eyes had immediately watered upon approaching it and then continued to do so for the remainder of the trip. I wanted so badly to just squeeze my eyes shut, but I couldn't possibly whilst driving.

Then, there was the moment that I finally entered Northwich, having to drive right past the place where my parents had been laid to rest. There was serious debate on stopping and saying hello, but just the thought caused bile to rise in my throat. I didn't know what I would say, if I would be able to pull myself together before meeting these strangers, or if I would even be able to enter without breaking down.

Finally, there was the moment when my old childhood home came into view. The tears that I had been trying to conceal were let free once again at seeing the old place. My mother's precious flowers were in full bloom, along with some added extras that weren't there before. Even in the dreary rain the place looked so cheerful. And I realized right then how much I had missed living in Northwich and how much I missed my parents.

It took about five minutes for me to pull myself together once parked, my eyes red and makeup blotched slightly. Somehow, I made it out of the vehicle, stepping onto the gravel and making my way slowly to the wooden door to where I stand now.

My heart hammers harshly against my chest to the point where I fear it will bruise my body. My breathing is laboured as I raise my hand to knock softly against the wood. Part of me actually debates running back to the car and driving away, simply calling Mrs. Grey and telling her I couldn't come. But it's too late when I finally hear footsteps on the other side of the door, giving me little time to actually prepare.

"Oh hello!" Instead of a cheery older woman, I'm met with the sight of a happy older gentleman, "you must the Annabelle my wife has been going on about all afternoon." I can't help but bring a smile to my lips after seeing the happiness ooze from him, it's practically contagious.

"That'd be me." I comment, trying my hardest not to peek into the old home. My fear is that I'll break down again if I step foot, or even look, in the home. I hope they don't invite me in, because I'm too nice to say no. "Annabelle Chambers, nice to meet you..."

"Alfred Grey, but call me Al." He says, extending his hand to shake with mine. "Please, come in, it's absolutely dreadful out." Before I can say anything, my feet have taken the initiative to enter the house and walk past Al. My eyes immediately scan the rooms that I can see.

The snug little lounge that held our precious fireplace and sitting area for cold days, is completely rearranged. There's new seating, new decor, new everything. I find it hard to breathe as Al leads me further into the house, calling out my arrival to his wife.

"So, Annabelle, where do you work?"

"Um," I tear my eyes from the wall that used to hold the pencil marks of my height growth and Edward's too. It seems to be painted over now. "I work at Smith and Carlton Publishing, in Manchester. I'm a receptionist." I answer, keeping my eyes trained on Al so I don't have to look anywhere else.

"How wonderful." You'd be surprised.

"Oh!" I nearly jump out of my skin at the abrupt gasp from the woman I believe to be Maria Grey. She stands in the centre of the kitchen, seeming to be boiling some water for tea. "It's so lovely to meet you." She exclaims, skipping the handshake to grab me in a warm hug.

The hug alone sends a shiver down my spine. Her embrace is so warm and familiar that it's like I'm hugging my mother again. At the feeling of my eyes beginning to get glossy I pull away and send the woman a small smile.