Page 33

Summoner-nin

Part Four: The Rookie Nine

Chapter Three

The flame warmed the porcelain, licks of red and orange caressing the voluptuous curve of the ceramic. It was breathless in the way its fingers receded and advanced, uncertain in its hold, but bold in the way it dared the intimate crevices of the pottery. It lingered heat on the hard material, calling, holding, kissing… bringing the insides of the pot to a boil of bubbles and steam. Finally, in its final moments of being ravaged, the pot gave a sounding whistle of ecstasy, of relief and feeling.

Finally, Hinata reached forward to douse the flame. It was enough of all that rowdiness. It was time to relax and cuddle with a good cup of tea. Humming softly to herself, she poured a small amount of the boiling water into the tea pot and the two tea cups, warming the porcelain before emptying the now cooler water. She placed tea leaves, a healing mixture of herbs and fruits – pomegranate and tangerine, into the tea pot. After pouring water over the dried leaves and skins, she headed towards the desk where ojisan had been waiting patiently for a good drink.

She shared a smile with him as she placed the pot and cups onto his cleared desk. He had been watching for her work around his office, moving with a familiarity with the way her arms would brush against the chairs, hips sliding briefly along the edge of his desk, and feet avoiding all the loose and squeaky boards. He was proud of her gracefulness, and knew that she would give the words "noble" and "lady" a new definition upon reaching womanhood.

He was quite thrilled at her visit. She had come early in the morning, bringing a new kind of tea she had found at the market. She had wanted to share it with him. And as she had moved through the rituals and the Art of Tea Making in his very office, he couldn't help but recall those years when he had been the one to make her tea – the way she had been so small and tiny and had trouble climbing the chair in order to finally take a seat before him.

The way her ghostly eyes had glowed in the steam of the tea he had made for her, her cheeks turning pink at the warmth and taste.

He felt incredibly old now, watching her pour the tea she'd made into his cup.

Their positions had switched. He hadn't known when, but it had been bound to happen.

Hinata sat back in her customary seat, across from him at the desk, hands wrapped around her cup. Together, they inhaled the fruity infusion and took an experimental sip. Sweet and tangy, deep and cleansing. It was a good mix.

Setting her cup down, she shared another smile with the man she considered a grandfather.

"It's good," the Hokage complimented her choice.

She beamed. "I like it too."

Hiruzen nodded, a smile on his lips. He was always smiling around her. "And your team? Do you like it?"

Hinata beamed again. "Very much!"

The Sandaime leaned back in his seat, remembering the new D-rank mission now sitting on his desk. Glancing briefly at the tea, he thought it'd be fitting for her. Perhaps not the young Inuzuka on her team, but certainly her. It would certainly try Kiba's patience, but it would refine Shino's patience. Kurenai would also bloom in the environment…