Page 34: Fire Temple

Summoner-nin

Part Four: The Rookie Nine

Chapter Four

"You do not want to show all of yourself," Shibi advised.

Hinata paused, a morning dove echoing in the distance. The river around her lapped quietly, onto the shore, over stones and under twigs, but the waters stood still and noiseless under and around her naked feet. By the river's bank, her senseis watched her from under a tree. Shikaku had settled along the trunk, playing with senbon in his mouth. Anko had climbed the tree and was now swinging her legs from up above. Shibi and Tsume had remained standing, Shibi a foot from the tree while Tsume was leaning against the bark. Kuromaru, on the other hand, was at the water's edge, staring at Hinata, ever alert and vigilant.

Mollified by the silence, Hinata returned to her water-walking. With her chakra, she was able to smooth the currents to create a flat surface on the river. With a slight tap of her toes, she sent water skipping across water, scattering them into tiny, miniscule droplets and letting them fall over the river's surface like rain. In a breath, Hinata churned her chakra again to displace the rain into a fine mist, and then a cloud that evaporated in the morning sun.

It was an art form she was just beginning to grasp.

Finally, Shikaku spoke. "Hinata."

She withdrew herself from the mist to regard her senseis. The wind teased the mist into her hair, fanning and cooling her cheeks. "Hai?"

"You are far above Shino and Kiba," the Nara said, his senbon bobbing up and down. "So far and above, they may even find it discouraging."

Hinata faltered, her feet sinking several centimetres into the waters before rising onto the flat surface again. She had nearly lost her concentration; she did not want to discourageher teammates. Hinata wasn't discouraging at all. Frowning, she saw that her senseis had seen her slip up, but spared her from any criticism. The issue at hand was more imperative.

"I-I see, Shikaku-sensei," Hinata sounded warily.

The senbon bobbed up and down; Shikaku's expression blank and contemplative.

"You must train them, Hinata," Tsume said, stepping forward, "just as we've trained you."

Fortunately, this time Hinata was ready for surprises and managed to avoid from slipping into the river. She did not know how to teach anyone anything, and was mildly discomfited by the endeavour.

"Just reveal yourself slowly," Shikaku consoled. "When they see you progress, they will follow as well."

Anko snorted. "Boys don't like to be trumped, Hina. They'll try to be better than you, but you make sure you're a step ahead of them, okay? Remember, girls rule and boys drool!"

Tsume gave Anko a snippy look, but held her tongue. Men did suck, and were insensitive too. She turned back to Hinata and said, "You know how I work, Hinata. Just apply it to Kiba."

Shibi nodded. "Shino as well. He has much to learn."

Hinata's looked to her feet, apprehensive. She did not know where to begin and, more importantly, she did not want to disappoint her senseis. She understood what the mother and father wanted for their sons—to be just as strong, if not stronger, than them. But Hinata saw the fallacy in their vision: Kiba and Shino were not exact copies of their separate parent. In fact, the more Hinata was around them, the more she noticed the difference between parent and child.