Chapter 13

Just A Crush

Shivaay stilled as he heard her whisper. Before he could say something, anything, Anika sighed, "Shivaay, please let me speak. I don't know if I'll be able to gather enough courage to tell you again."

Shivaay only nodded, tightening his hold on her hand.

"When I moved to Delhi two years ago, I met Daksh at the firm. He was a great guy and we hit it off instantly. But the thing was, even before I left for Delhi, I realised I had feelings for someone. So I would try not to think about him, keep myself busy and Daksh helped me a lot. Two months since I shifted and the guy I liked did not call, no message not even acknowledging me."

Anika looked at Shivaay, trying to see his reaction. He seemed numb.

Doesn't even realise his own mistake.

Deciding to continue anyways, she spoke.

"In this time, I thought he realised that I had a crush on him and started ignoring me for this reason. It hurt a lot Shivaay, it hurt a lot." Anika tried containing her tears as she felt Shivaay's grip loosening a bit.

"I brushed it off as a crush, drowning myself in pointless work, avoiding to talk about him with Gauri, who was aware of my feelings. I passed those fourteen months with much difficulty. I even lost all contact with him. No calls, no messages, I felt defeated Shivaay. Fourteen months and the stupid crush won't go away."

Shivaay had started listening to her with a clear mind. Her words in the beginning were soothing and hopeful for him, but towards the end, Shivaay began to lose his confidence, yet again.

"Eight months ago, Daksh proposed to me. We enjoyed each other's company a lot, so I decided, Daksh would be the best way to let go of the feelings. I tried my best Shivaay, my best." Anika's gaze was stuck to the pool, unwavering. Her eyes were pooled and it took everything in her to not sob.

"But Shivaay, it didn't work. If fourteen months were difficult, these seven months were the final level. My confusion wouldn't let me put in efforts in the relationship and Daksh being the smarter one realised it. Shivaay, there was nothing even remotely romantic in our relatioship on my part and any guy would not just chuck it off. Daksh is a great guy, he tried his level best to reach a comfort zone but we started losing our earlier comfort level as well."

Shivaay's brains had already started working, only subconsciously processing Anika's words in favour of the thread of thoughts he began to weave.

"Shivaay, I couldn't even bring myself to kiss him normally, it started getting pretty annoying and why wouldn't he be annoyed. I would hardly be enthusiastic about meeting up with hin, no reaction towards a date, no response to his 'I miss you's or random gifts. Daksh started realising that I was losing bits of myself as I tried forcing the relationship on myself. Shivaay I was doing all of this just because I missed someone else's presence." Anika's tears had started flowing. It was only when Shivaay heard her choke on her sobs that he put an arm around her, hugging her tightly.

Wiping her tears, Anika found her comfortable position with him and smiled a bit. "One month ago, Daksh came to our house, with a marriage proposal."

Shivaay who had been rubbing her back soothingly, stiffened when he heard her.

"He said he thought I was not completely sure about the relationship and his will in it. So he decided that we should get engaged. Maybe that will help us find ourselves on the same level again." Anika chuckled. "My reaction was so horrifying, Daksh started laughing. He told me, 'Anika, why are you even forcing yourself in this pointless relationship? You could have told me no and we would still have been closest of friends. I don't want to see you upset.' Shivaay, he is such a great guy and I lied to you, I defamed him in front of you. My best friend. The guy whose opinion about everyone matters to me." Anika wrapped her arms completely around him, her face resting in the crook of his neck.

"Shivaay, I am so sorry I lied to you. I couldn't bring myself to tell you the truth. Dadi came to know about this. She suggested our marriage and Mom and Dad agreed. I didn't even realise when all of this happened. I was just watching as days passed, Dadi talked to the whole family, they all agreed with such excitement, I couldn't help but share it. I was still nervous of your reactions. I didn't have any idea of how you had reacted to the news and you didn't even call so it made me even more nervous. Turns out, they hadn't even talked to you."

Shivaay remember talking with Dadi a few weeks ago.

"Billu, what would you do if we get you married to Anika?"

"Dadi, see whatever I told you all those months ago is a part of me but I will never let you all force this upon her."

And I did just that.

"Shivaay..." Anika softly whispered, waiting for his reaction.

Pulling out of the hug, Shivaay pinched the bridge of his nose slightly, trying to keep his emotions at bay.

"I am so sorry Anika." Shivaay looked at her apologetically.

"We were silently best friends but I couldn't even understand your feelings. I should have done that. I missed out on any hint that you might have given Anika." He softly whispered, cupping her face.

"But you didn't have to do this you know?" Shivaay sighed.

"Do what?" Anika asked, her brows furrowed in confusion.

"Agree to the marriage." Shivaay plastered a smile.

Anika looked at him in horror.

"I get the whole picture now. You kissed me because you wanted to prove that you didn't have feelings for that guy. Just like how you got into a relationship with Daksh. But Anika, if you love him so much, at least try telling him. I am telling you, we'll go out. If you can't refute, I will say that I don't want to marry you. We'll find that guy, okay? I don't think he'll be stupid enough to let you go."

Anika looked at Shivaay, her mouth hanging open.

"Before that, though." Shivaay looked at his feet.

"Anika, I am so sorry I took the kiss in a completely different way. I thought you actually wanted to and that's why I behaved the way I did. I guess when you kissed me you realised you won't be able to let go of your feelings, haina?"

And I assumed you felt something. Shit Shivaay, you ruined all of it.

Anika only stared at him, as he continued apologizing for coming 'uncomfortably' close and not understanding what she was going through.

Anila stood up, staring at him, furiously.

"Really, Shivaay?"

Shivaay himself was lost enough to not catch onto the sarcasm in her voice. He stoood up as well, keeping his hand on her shoulder, a pathetic attempt to calm himself down.

"Yes Anika I will set things straight, I pro-" before Shivaay could even promise, Anika pushed him. His leg hit the pool edge and SPLASH!

Lol, I am going to go hide somewhere. All of you know me and Shivaay so well :P

On a scale of 1-10, how stupid were Shivaay and Anika. Anika didn't say his name and Shivaay didn't realise when he was being talked about. So we know Anika loves Shivaay. What do you think happens next? Will Shivaay go tell the family that he doesn't want to marry?

Waiting for chamelis,
BlackManiacx