17. Strange

"Can we take the car out and go to Cypress park?" she asked walking out of the bathroom. She had found a map in the hotel lobby and was scoping out places that she thought would be fun to visit.

"Yeah, that would be cool" I responded.

I felt like such an idiot for cuddling up to her last night. It probably freaked her out. I couldn't believe she didn't want to leave that very moment. Instead, she wanted to go on a hike?

I stared at the ceiling from the bed as she was gathering her things together. I felt a pulsing in my arms from they were touching her. I could still smell her hair in my nose. God, I was such a creep.

She seemed to be trying really hard to make me feel better about what happened but I just couldn't. I had invaded her personal space and that was so uncool of me. Her being so nice about it only made me feel worse. I didn't need her pity, I just wanted her to be honest with me.

She was the one who ran away. All I did was come along and make everything worse for her and myself.

"C'mon!" she insisted. I got out of bed, grabbed my keys and wallet and we headed towards the parking garage.

"How are you planning on getting home tomorrow?"

"I was just going to take a train. Then a cab probably. I have the money for it," she said with a smile.

We reached the car in the garage and headed towards the park. It wasn't too long of a drive. Scarlet wasn't saying much of anything which was really weird for her. I figured it was because of what I had done.

"I am really sorry about this morning," I said.

"You really don't have to be," she replied, sweetly.

I wasn't sure what to say so I just said, "No, I invaded your personal space. That was wrong of me."

She let out a slight chuckle that turned into a roaring laugh.

"What?" I asked her.

"That's what you were thinking?"

This took me by surprise. "Yes?" I responded, sounding a bit confused.

"I should've figured that's how you'd react."

I was so confused. I had no idea what she was getting at. I shot her a nervous look.

"Don't feel bad about it. Please," she said with a smile.

--

We finally got the park and started on a little hike. We grabbed some coffee and breakfast on the road beforehand so we weren't hungry or tired.

Neither of us said anything for the rest of the car ride either. We both seemed to be looking forward to the hike though.

We started on one of the trails. It was a really pretty sight. We saw masses of land separated by the sea. The nature seemed to be in pristine condition.

"What're you going to say when you get back?" I asked, breaking the long silence.

"I don't know, but I've been thinking about it a lot."

"You have?" I asked.

"Yeah, I got to make sure I say the right things so I don't just end up getting you into more trouble. I can call the hotel room phone tomorrow to let you know what's going on."

It hit me in that moment that I was going to be completely alone again. I wouldn't even have Karen.

"That sounds okay," I said with my voice trailing off.