Chapter Thirty

"Oh my God! It's finally here!" Biana bounded into Sophie's room, Linh trailing behind, causing Sophie to jolt awake with a start.

"What's here, Biana?" Sophie groaned. Then she remembered. 

The dance. 

Biana was shrieking as Linh chased her around with an elixir that was supposed to make your hair wavy. They had thrown away the makeup kits after finding out that they were fake lookalikes of human makeup. Sophie had complained that it had been scam since the beginning but Biana had insisted it was all right. Dex had brought over some elixirs for them to use, though it wasn't without a lot of mumbling and blushing as Biana tried her best to explain what makeup and elixirs she needed. Dex was going with Dina, after many back-outs and screaming. He had finally asked her when she came into Slurps and Burps to find some acne remover, much to her embarrassment. Dex had taken it with ease though his turn for embarrassment came when he found the courage to ask her. 

Sophie grabbed her dress and took it out of its bag. She went into the bathroom and slipped on the dress. Or tried to.

Sophie started to freak out. Why wouldn't the dress zip up? She pulled and pulled but the zipper wouldn't budge. She walked out of the room and asked Biana if she would help, but it still wouldn't move. Sophie took a deep breath and tried to refrain from screaming.

"It doesn't fit anymore. What am I supposed to do?" Sophie asked Biana, her worry increasing tenfold.

Biana shrugged. "I don't know, Soph. I mean, I have a ton of dresses, but they are really showy. I don't know if you'd want that..." Sophie sighed. She had no other choice.

"Biana. Take me to Everglen now," Sophie said, taking Biana's hand.

"NO!" Biana shrieked, flinging her hand away.

"Why not?" Sophie asked, appalled at her friend's reaction.

"My brother is there! He can't see you before he comes here to take you!" Biana shrieked. Sophie groaned and rolled her eyes.

"Who cares!"

"I DO! This has to be perfect, Sophie!" Biana said.

"Well, what am I supposed to do?" Sophie asked exasperatedly. "I can't just sit here half-naked and wait for some miracle."

"I'll go. I promise I'll pick my least crazy dress. I'll even bring a few choices." Biana said. "Or we can ask Dex if he has any elixirs to make it fit."

"No, there's no time," Sophie said worriedly. "Just find a dress that you think I'll be semi-okay with." She had a bad feeling about this. Biana was not to be trusted in times like this. Sophie prayed for a miracle.

"Fine. I'll be back in ten." Biana left through the Leapmaster.

Sophie sighed and turned to Linh. "Do you need any help with your outfit?"

"No, I'm good." Linh was going with Keefe, after telling him that she had changed her mind about everything. She was kind of angry at Sophie for going with Fitz, but she had been hiding it. She knew it wasn't meant to be with her and Fitz. She had given up Fitz for Sophie's friendship, and she wasn't going to lose it now. 

"Okay. I'll just be in the bathroom." Sophie left the room, close to tears.

How did the dress not fit? What happened? Sophie hadn't gained too much weight... or at least she didn't think so. She had eaten a lot of mallowmelt lately...

She sighed and walked over to the scale. She slowly stepped on and closed her eyes, not wanting to look at the numbers. Finally, she opened her eyes.