06

OSCAR SIPH HAD ADMITTEDLY TAKEN A LIKING to the sassy and lighthearted girl who had been surfing ahead of him only a moment ago. He hadn't developed a crush on her, no, that was unlikely. But yet, he found her quite intriguing. Unconquerable. Fearless.

Only a moment ago, she was one with the waves. Surfing bravely in the hunting, raspy waters that were only a foot below her. But yet, she sailed with passion. He remembered the confident smile plastered against her face right as the wind blew her hair across her face.

She did, however, fall in, which was perfectly normal, considering the aggression of today's waves, but what was concerning, was the fact that her surfboard had floated back up, with the velcro (a safety feature) unlatched, which could only be removed by herself.

So now, Jess Walker was missing.

For twenty minutes.

Oscar, known as Scar, and Leo were both assigned as the scouts. The two who would be swimming underwater looking for Jess, who, they assumed would be fighting to save herself from drowning. Louis, the tanned body, and surfer was placed on the lookout, which meant, standing atop a surfboard to look for Jess from a higher angle. And finally, Ellie, who would be helping Louis with his job.

Scar had never felt more frightened in his entire lifetime, who would expect someone to just go missing by simply doing something so harmless?

"Scar, Leo," Ellie says ghastly. "I just realized something."

"Go ahead." Leo pants.

"Jess' strap, velcro, or whatever-you-call-it, was wrapped around the board because it was caught in a tangle. Which meant, she couldn't get upwards while connected to it. So she unclasped it."

"And, now she's missing?" Scar says. "Are you implying-"

"That's what I'm guessing." Ellie cut in, promptly, emphasizing the word guessing.

And now, his heart had literally leaped out of his body in pure, and utter fear. Twenty minutes, if Jess hadn't already sunken too low to swim upwards, she would've most definitely drowned, but nevertheless, he asked the group to look on.

Please, he wished.

Suddenly, Jess' head bobbed out of the water, and although his wish was fulfilled, Scar still couldn't believe his eyes. He felt as if he had to blink several times, rubbing his eyes every so often. He assumed she was exhausted and put her arm over his shoulder to bring her back to shore, safely. "Guys," He yells at the top of his lungs, "I found her."

Slowly, the others made their way back to him, Leo, taking her other arm and mimicking Scar's action.

"I don't believe it," Leo says to Jess, who sits on a rock, drinking a warm cup of water, once we've made it back to solid land. "You held your breath for twenty minutes straight?"

Scar had promptly handed Jess a steaming mug of hot cocoa that he had been prepared to offer the others once they had wrapped up the surfing initiation. She took it gratefully, looking out into the skyline.

"Jess, unless you're on the Guinness book of world records or something, this does not happen." Ellie says, "And although I'm Christian, do not describe this as some sort of miracle."

"But you're going to pray and thank your God anyway?" Scar teases.

"Shut up. Respect, please?" Ellie groans. "Let her speak!"

Jess takes in a shaky breath before speaking, "It's a long story." she muses, barely lifting her eyes off the ground.

"Well," Scar deadpanned, "Curiosity does get the better of us all." he speaks lightly, "We have time."

"It's better I show you." and with that, she creates a tiny dent in the sand using her fist to place her mug in before sprinting towards the shoreline and diving right back into the ocean.

"Jess!" Scar yells at the same time Leo yells, "What the-", both chasing after her. Louis and Ellie follow close behind the group.

Scar has a tough time locating Jess, given the headstart she had to practically swim anywhere in the ocean. But he thanks his lucky stars when he spots her grasping the so-called framework of a certain cave opening, and slithering herself inwards.

He motions for the others to follow, as he repeats the action, in a slightly smoother way.

Jess laughs at his shocked reaction when he sees the neon bright crystal shooting beams of light in every direction. He's surrounded by water, so he can't speak, but yet, he's more confused than ever.

Jess holding her breath for twenty minutes is one thing, finding a crystal ball in the middle of nowhere that's as bright as the sun is certainly something else.

Something out of this world.

Slowly, Jess places all their hands around the forcefield of the pearl, allowing them to feel the pull urging them to press their hands on its' surface. Scar notes that it's a magnetic vacuum. An area with no oxygen, but with a magnet stamped right in it.

Ellie was the first to give in. Scar was taken aback as Ellie's form completely disappeared as she touched it. He and Leo exchanged confused glances with one another. Eventually doing the same.

The blinding light pierces through Scar's eyes, sharp as a sword. He squints, but not before recognizing himself in a new territory. The last thing he could remember was touching the slick surface of the pearl, and now, he was suddenly on an island he had never seen before.

Looking at his sides, he notes that the others are slowly recovering as well. "Jess?" He huffs, slowly. "Care to explain?"

"There really is no explanation," She sighs. "I discovered these only moments before I showed it to you."

"Is this supposed to be a joke?" Leo asks. "I feel like I'm dreaming, which is strange because I don't really dream about such nice places."

"Way to lighten the mood." Louis smiles, offering his hand to help pull Leo upwards.

"Oh my god, the light." Ellie groans.

Slowly, the group of five recovers from their habitually slumped positions. Scar, in particular, is curious. He had never seen a place like this before, and this is coming from a regular traveler. Slowly, he moved his hands long enough to realize something. "Guys," Scar asks shakily, "Why are we breathing in water?"

"Welcome." A girl, around their age with ash blonde hair approached them. Draped around her wrist is a gold-leaf styled bracelet that was likely supposed to symbolize that she was one of the upper-class. Her smile is scary, almost. It appears more like taunting, or congratulations, you're screwed smile. Then with her wispy voice and British accent, her smile slips and she turns all serious-like again. "Consider this your happiest memory of Covia."