24

THE LAST THING JETT HAD EXPECTED WAS FOR THE LAVINES TO BARGE INTO HIS OFFICE, PANTING. Without realizing so, he had simply anticipated that since Covia was at war, and Earth wasn't, the lavine's would probably want to enjoy themselves in a relaxed day off.

He took a double take at his calendar, then at them, "You're a bit...early."

"We only had one chance to get away from the police and our parents. We were gone for five consecutive days."

He hadn't told them it would take quite a while to fish Aspyn and Brea without Avine realizing they passed his border, so he had let them take their time. At the moment, he was on a call with Jaq, Aspyn's final spy debating whether to make a run for it today or tomorrow.

Scar sat on the seat across from him, and the others followed suit. "Jaq, when would the gates open tomorrow."

"Yikes, big celebration, so really early but really guarded."

"As opposed to today?" Jett stroked his chin.

"They have five minutes to get past six layers of security, tomorrow, they have more time and less attention on their backs, but it's a ten-layer exit. The final stage is an ID."

"Make a run for it." Scar nods.

"What is stopping Aspyn from levitating herself, and Brea out of there, exactly?" Jess asked. "Or maybe we should create a more elaborate attack and get them out of there."

"There are electric boards, which, now that you mention it, can be disabled." He sighs. "This is going to take a while, why don't you five find Mason and get some improvements on your suits, maybe train, or something."

Jett's fingers tapped quietly against his wooden desk, how could one disable an electric board. He sure knew how to hack but doubted its ability in helping him. He took another gulp of coffee and played with the small stubbles of hair beginning to form on his intranasal depression.

Then he thought about it more closely, and he realized his answer had been sitting there the whole time. Cameras that Aspyn had planted.

Checking the surveillance, Jett looked at the different wattages of each of the boards. "Hm, that's quite interesting."

"What is?" Jaq asked.

"The electric fences surrounding Avinian territory. I looked at the wattage, and there's a weak point. Looks like we've got our escape route planned out. I think we'd have a chance if Aspyn carries Brea and her both out of it and they make a run."

It's not long before Jett finds himself sharing the coordinates of the weak link to Jaq. The camera, which is locked in position captures exactly what is happening.

Through the grainy images, and blurry footage, Jett, does, in fact, notice a figure floating from an area near Jaq's house. Good, he thinks. It's Brea. She's being lifted by Aspyn so slowly it would probably go unnoticed, but again, she'd have to pass through the electric board, and that would certainly alert the Avinians.

An alarm went off. Jett's head snapped as he jerked it back to the monitor. Brea had in fact gotten through the electric fence, but it had set off the alarm Jett anticipated existed. Now it was all up to Aspyn, who needed to get out of the hole Brea made before she's surrounded.

Brea, brace. Aspyn's going to let go. Do the protocol. Do not look back. He barks into his walkie-talkie. Aspyn, move.

Jett bites his lip as he watches Aspyn maneuver herself as fast as possible without getting caught. What he doesn't see in advance, however, Avine stepping out of a semi-luxurious car in his suit.

"Aspyn." He chuckles lightly, but he's too slow and he knows it. Aspyn sends a massive amount of rocks at him, which he barely manages to duck before she herself moves upwards.

It's plausible that he's opened the gate in preparation to chase Aspyn down, the girl's already escaped and is coming somewhat close to surpassing Brea. He's proud of them both.

You did well.

The girls, both panting run to the nearest secret hideout and slide themselves inwards. Abelyn's waiting inside for them, but she was instructed to wait for the others to arrive. Now it's Jett's turn to move.

Jett unwittingly stands up and heads to the other room where he knows he'll find the lavines. Scar looks up as he enters, and the others follow suit, taking in his more relaxed persona.

"Come on, time to go."

"Where to?" Even Mason is slightly confused by the suddenness.

"Lavine's, just because Aspyn and Brea have escaped doesn't mean we're any closer to finishing the war." Jett says, "So before you're forgotten on Earth, let's finish this strong."

But he didn't know that this line meant as no more than the slight joke, or a little tingle in the ear, had spoken to each lavine in so many unimaginable ways.