29

AFTER A WEEK OF BEING PLACED BEFORE THE PALACE DOORS WITH A PARTNER, it was finally Ellie's turn to guard the Queen, the location was in one of the more complicatedly designed hideouts. Firstly, it was almost impossible to find with instructions, and Secondly, it was even harder to get it once you managed to find it. Ellie had rotated at least three times in the past week, but now, it was her one opportunity to nick the ID.

Mason had been adamant about placing her near his mother, but due to rotational basis regulations, she was placed under the scorching heat for the first few days. "Ells, you okay?" Her roommate asked, snapping her out of the flurry of thoughts clouding her mind.

She had been assigned a quarter in the castle likewise the other soldiers who took care of guarding the palace. She was quick to make friends with the other three girls in her room and they had gotten along well, but she would find herself holding back when she remembered her ulterior motive.

"Yeah." She nodded looking guilty, "I guess It's pretty nerve-wracking to be in the same room as the Queen."

"No, the Queen barely does anything. The only difference is whether you happen to be under the sun, or at a decent room temperature."

Ellie smiled. "I guess." Mason had shown her how to get to the hideout yesterday after she had gotten lost several times and ended up running straight into him out of hassle. Newbies were shown the locations a day before.

Quickly, she grabbed her duffle bag and took both her gun and garrison belt. Today, she was not to be late. She had to grab every opportunity as soon as possible. Maybe she had a little from Brea, to survive, you had to change.

That opportunity came in the form of the identification badge, or the ID. Right after she slid her duffle into a cubby hole inside the hideout, she spotted it. The Queen's ID was on her bedside table, while she, was lying asleep on the bed.

Hiding the shock evident on her face was nearly impossible, but Ellie decided against her instincts and inched closer towards the Queen, who was half-awake on her bed. She was three-quarters of the way there when another officer barked at her. "Must be a general to enter." A general was the highest rank of officers. Of course, the Queen could only have her most trusted companions by her side. But she wasn't about to lose this opportunity, her friends were counting on her.

She looked around the room and straightened her posture before turning back, "I was just going to ask if the Queen needed a drink. Tea, perhaps?" Speaking to generals was tricky enough, but this was a situation she almost knew she had screwed up on.

"If ever she needed anything, I would get it for her maje-"

"Actually, yes. I would prefer Tea, thank you, Officer-" The Queen sat upright, searching for her name tag. At that moment, Ellie could not be more thankful. The Queen, in a way, had just saved her life.

"Clasten." She chirped, skipping into the pantry as quick as her legs would allow her. It was simple, really. Since they were breathing water, all she had to do was catch the water in a plastic cup with a lid, along with a tea bag, then stick it into the microwave. And wait.

Ding.

Ellie retrieved the burning plastic cup and put a piece of cloth around it to absorb the heat. For the moment, at least.

Slowly, she stalked over to where the Queen's bed where she happened to be sprawled on. The officer that had stopped her previously had moved aside for her to pass. Fortunately for her, that was the exact moment when Mason had entered the room to give the orders. Which meant that the attention of everyone was focused on him, including his mother's.

Calmly, she poised the tray atop the antique-like bedside table, preparing to place it down when she snuck a glance at the ID, which sat at the center of it. Would she notice if I took it?. Her mind answered. She's sick, that ID is probably the least of her worries.

Ellie sneakily placed the tray on top of the ID but right before it collided with the surface of the table, her left hand went into the space in between and swiped the ID almost as smoothly as she lied. Leaving the tray, she dropped the card into her pocket and moved back to her post.

Job accomplished. Step two, somehow hoping Jett wouldn't be in his office.

"Mother, may I borrow your ID?" Ellie froze. What now?

"Oh yes, it was just on this table." She nodded, "Will you do it for me, my dearest."

Ellie's eyes bulged out of their sockets as the scene continued to unfold. Was this the moment for justice? If she was caught, she would be put in the prison cell never to see the light of day again. Was she out of her mind, attempting to swipe the ID?

"It's not here. There's a tray of tea." Ellie was going crazy. I'm too young to die, I'm way too young. There has to be something I can do.

"It must be under the tray. Officer Clasten must've not seen the tiny little thing just laying there."

"Alright, do you mind if I lift your tea up?"

"I don't, go ahead."

Ellie was freaking out. "Wait!" She yelled, hoping something popped up in her mind. Everyone looked at her. Some strangely, others in confusion. "Metal conducts heat, if you touch it, you'll burn your hands since the heat as already reached the metal by now."

For the first time, Ellie finally appreciated theatre improvisation. Even if it really wasn't that good.

"Well, thank you for your concern Officer Clasten." He smiled. "I just wanted to make sure it wasn't lost, mother. There's no need to hand it to me later."

Ellie smiled. She knew it, the Queen herself would forget to look for the ID, Mason was convinced it was still in its righteous place, and the officer who would clear it later on wouldn't be bothered. She got lucky, once. But luck could only go so far.