09

THE CIRCLE THAT WAS MADE UP OF THE FIVE DISCOMBOBULATED TEENAGERS was hardly considered a circle, but Scar didn't mind. He knew for a fact that everyone had had a very tough, if not appalling morning, mirroring the insomniac effects he had experienced that very same morning.

It was an ungodly hour when he was jolted awake by a sudden rush of endorphins that stopped any chances of him falling asleep ever again, so he paid no mind and started his day at --- three in the morning, starting with his reliable cup of Americano coffee. No milk, no sugar. He silently cursed his knowledge of the chemical reactions between adrenaline and endorphins, bud had gradually accepted that sleep had not been an option for today.

In his perspective, Jess had taken the biggest fall, taking the impact of the swift bomb Aspyn had graciously cast upon her yesterday. Although a small knot of pity engulfed him, he ignored the flush of emotions and snuck a feverish glance at the poor girl. She was hardly awake, and currently, it was half past three in the afternoon, meaning she had been barely awake in class. Her fingers were hanging over her face, but they look seconds away from slipping.

But nevertheless, he pushed on. "Let's take a vote," He starts, facing the tired group. "Come on, everyone."

"If I get coffee." Leo groans, cupping his head in his hands, Jess and Louis were both asleep by now, slamming their faces on the hard, wooden table. Scar rubs his temples again, a failed attempt at focusing. Clearly, none had planned to pull an all-nighter.

"Here," Ellie says, distributing the five cups of coffee to everyone, and while she makes sure to place a gracious amount of sugar and milk for everyone to use, it's left untouched. Scar sips his third mug today, caffeine being labeled useless.

After what seems like ages, he manages to gather enough self-control to place the mug down for a split second.

"All in favor of saving Covia." He says, raising his hands. He notes down that Leo and Ellie have both raised their hands, and Jess had simply kept her eye closed, but raises her hand anyway.

"That's four of five votes." Scar announces, tiredly.

Louis shrugs. "I don't feel like slacking off on our senior year for a person we've just met, in a place we've never seen."

They all exchange glances. To be fair, he had raised a valid point.

"If you're pertaining to," Jess lifts her head up to communicate with her eyes, whether we should save Covia. "Think about it, the world we were born into rejected us over and over again for simply standing out. They put labels on our foreheads and called us the trash. Then, the one place you can make a difference in, the one saying you're not normal, not trash, but extraordinary. A place you can be recognized in, gives you a chance to find the friends you thought you ever had and the home you never knew of, you reject?" She's poking helplessly at the undissolved portions of the instant coffee mix, not finding the right words. "It's a burden we carry together."

"Your right." Leo takes a timid sip from his mug, "We were always abnormal." Sighing, he puts his mug down, "But it's your choice, positive, or negative."

Louis is scribbling roughly with his graphite pencil, seemingly undecided. "I think it's good to help them, but I just don't want to be the cause of Covia's downfall, and the destruction of myself." his eyes catch the ground. "Covia, you see, is temporary. Once we finish the job or don't, we still have to face the music. We still have to come back."

Scar's voice is strained when he turns to reply to Louis, their telepathy being temporarily broken, "Covia is screwed either way, Louis. There's a reason to why they are asking of our help. And to be honest, everyone needs a break. Even those who don't think they do. Outcast rejection is daily, and it'll be nice for a change."