Chapter 18: Above All Else

Bailey

Early August

Reggie was back in California getting ready for her Sophomore Year at College and I am getting ready to move to Nevada. But I still haven't told my mom what I was doing Reggie has been texting me nearly everyday to tell her. So i figured that today would be the day to do it.

I walk into the family room where my mom is reading a book. I sit across from her.

"Can we talk?" She puts her book down. 

"Of Course. Whats going on?" I take a deep breath and Just go for it. 

"I am leaving to go to college in the fall. To Nevada..." she sighs. 

"I was wondering when you were going to tell me.. I saw the mail... I had an idea that you applying to colleges."

"And you are all right with that?"

"I never had a problem with you leaving. You need to live your life, Bailey. You are so much bigger than Juniper. I know you took a lot of the burden of the after school care and me on your shoulders. It was never your responsibility." 

"I just felt like I needed to make what Dad did right..." 

"What your father did he faced judgment when he passed. You don't need to do anything to make what he did right. I didn't say anything about this before because i know helping me helped your recovery after the incident so i let you do what you wanted. But after this year, i'm glad you see its time to move on and instead of living your life trying to fix mistakes."

I look down at the ground.

"Bailey..." My mother says to me. I look up at her. "I will be fine. I have people to help me here. Im okay with you leaving." I smile and give my mother a big hug. 

"Thanks mom and you better call me if you need help. I will be here so fast." 

"I know you will Baby." She chuckles. "You seem better these days, am I assuming you and Regina worked it out?"

I sit next to her and nervously chuckle. "Yeah we did. "

"Are you happy?"

"Im super happy." I say. 

"Im glad. You guys are good for each other. She seems to keep you on your toes and you seem to ground her." 

"Sounds about right. She is always on the go." I say to her. 

" I want to see you guys from time to time. Especially for holidays. Bring Sam and Jonnie too." 

"I will. I swear." She pats my leg and smiles. 

"Now I bet you have a lot of packing to do!"

"You have no idea." 

"Lets get you ready! We should go shopping to make sure you got everything!" 

"Mom, you don't have too."

"I am your mother by definition I have to do things i don't have to do!" She is too much sometimes. 

Its the end of the month and its time for me to go to the airport. Sam, Jonnie, and Reggie are meeting me in Nevada to help me move in and such. My mom walks into the airport with me while I wait. 

The hour has arrived and they called my flight. My mother hugs me super tight. 

"Im going to miss you soo much! You are going to do great! Make some friends! Get out of your comfort zone a little bit okay?" I nod. She smiles at me and kisses my cheek. "Call me when you get to Nevada and send me pictures."  I wave as I get in line to go. 

I sit in my airplane seat and get myself comfortable. I look at phone one more time before I turn it off. 

Reggie: Can't wait to see you! See you in Nevada! Love you

 I smile and send her a text back. 

I am so excited to see my friends again and finally live my life. New chapters call for new priorities and I have a lot of priorities, but above all else, making a life with Reggie is my top priority. 

And I wouldn't have it any other way.