fourteen

"Hey! Sorry, I think we got off on a wrong start" Aiden said, walking towards me while I was in the hallway with Ella.

My friend looked up from her phone, a confused look on her face as soon as she saw him.

"Truth is, I was just a bit off because you know... Harry. But I'd like to start over?" He continued, looking at me cheerfully.

I nodded. "That sounds nice" I said, even though I really didn't feel like going out with him ever again.

"Lovely!" He replied. "Think we could hang out later today?" He suggested hopefully.

"Sorry, but I'm busy with another project. Would Thursday be fine instead?" I replied, trying to come to an agreement.

"But I'd really like to go out today!" He complained, and I shrugged.

"I'm sorry, but I can't today. I have to concentrate on my grades" I replied, slightly annoyed by his behaviour, but not really wanting to let him know.

"Can't you do that tomorrow?" Aiden insisted.

I was about to reply again, explaining to him that I really couldn't, especially considered how close I'd come the last time to not being able to complete it on time, but someone else did in my place.

"She said no."

I looked up instantly at the sound of the deep voice that I could've recognised anywhere at that point. Harry had been walking down the corridor, followed by Niall, and had probably overheard the conversation. He'd stopped in his tracks, just a couple of feet away from Aiden, and was looking at him coldly.

"How about you mind your own fucking business, mate?" Aiden hissed at him, stepping closer to him to intimidate him in some way.

But Harry was way taller than him, and he easily towered over him. He didn't seem fazed at all by the boy's aggressiveness, not taking a step back at the warning. "Get the fuck out of my way" he said calmly, his voice low.

They stood their position for a few seconds longer, Aiden glaring at him, Harry looking at him impassively, as if he was nothing but a mere setback in his routine, before the shorter boy snorted angrily.

"Thursday it is" he told me, barely glancing at me, before going away.

As soon as the boy left us, Harry walked away as well, not saying a word to me and my friend.

"Who's that boy and why did Harry step in for you?" Ella asked, confusion written over her face. "What the hell happened while I was gone?"

I shook my head to let her know I didn't feel like sharing. "A lot and nothing."

She nodded, pretending to understand. "Let's just go."

I flung my bag over my shoulder and we exited the building. I stopped when I saw Harry and some other people sitting on a bench, talking to each other. "Stay here" I told Ella before covering the distance that separated me from them. I rolled my eyes when I recognised the blondie with her legs over Harry's as Janette.

They all looked at me when I stopped in front of them, silencing themselves. Probably wondering why a nobody like me was approaching them.

A raven haired boy sitting next to Harry blew smoke out of his nose. "And who might you be?" He said, his golden eyes studying me, his fingers tapping lightly the cigarette to let the cinder fall on the ground.

I didn't reply, and I looked at Harry. "I won't ask Mrs Davis to change my model. If you have a problem with me, you can do it."

Harry stole the cigarette from the boy next to him, inhaling smoke into his lungs before slowly blowing it out of his lips, staring at me. "Something else?" He said mockingly, handing the cig back to his friend.

Janette chuckled next to me. "Sorry, who are you again? I didn't really catch your name."

"Don't worry, I just never told you in the first place" I replied with a confidence I didn't know I possessed, barely catching the look Harry gave me before turning around and going back to Ella.

"I don't know what happened there, but from the look on her face, you're getting murdered" she commented.

We walked down the street together in silence for a while, before she spoke again.

"So, what's up with Harry and you?"

I frowned, side-glancing at her. "What are you talking about?"

"I sense tension" she replied. "Wasn't he the one that universally gave no fucks about anything? Damn, I genuinely thought that a house could've burnt around him and he would've just not cared at all."

I shrugged. "Don't know. He's been acting weird for some days."

"How so?" She asked curiously.

"Got mad at me for nothing, refused to come to my house but then showed up anyway and now this..." I sighed. "I really don't know what he wants from me."

"I might have an idea or two" Ella commented suggestively.

"Just... stop" I replied.

"I don't get you, Sierra. You're literally so fucking lucky, just fuck him and call it a day" she said harshly.

"I don't want to."

"That's such a lie. Who wouldn't like to fuck Harry Styles? Anyway, I'm going home. Bye." She crossed the street, leaving me alone.

I kept walking, sighing when it started raining. I covered myself with my bag and ran all the way home, careful not to slip on the wet ground.

I went into my house and locked the door, leaving my coat on the hanger and my wet shoes near the entrance, before stepping forward inside.

I went upstairs and had a shower, already dreading the thought of having Harry come to my house again later that day. I wondered what he would've acted like. Would he have commented on what had happened during the day? I really couldn't explain his behaviour. What had made him care enough to step in? I wish I knew. Maybe he just wasn't looking forward to having me change the day again.

I stepped under the shower head, relaxing under the warm water. I washed my hair and body, lingering in the warmth for a little longer before stepping out. I wrapped the towel around myself, combing my hair before starting to blow dry it. All of sudden I heard a noise. I turned off the hairdryer, waiting to see if it would've appeared again. It did after some seconds, and I widened my eyes when I realised that it was the doorbell. I unlocked my phone, that I had left near the sink, finding out that it already was four in the afternoon. Which only meant one thing.

"Are you kidding me?" I hissed to myself, leaving the hairdryer in the sink, grabbing my phone and rushing into my bedroom. I was perfectly aware of the fact that Harry would've left if I hadn't opened the door, but there was no way I would've done that without a towel. I put on a pair of underwear and the first sweater I found. I put on a black pair of yoga pants, pulling the sweater down to cover my ass, before finally rushing down to the front door, almost slipping down the stairs. I opened it fast, thankfully Harry hadn't left yet.

He gave me an unimpressed glance, raising an eyebrow, but not saying anything.

I sighed, opening the door wider to allow him to walk inside.