twenty

When I walked into the building that day something in the air told me that it would've been harder than usual, the fact that Aiden was standing outside of the classroom chatting amicably with Ella being a dead giveaway.

I took a deep breath and walked towards them, getting ready for some snarky remarks from Ella and for Aiden's uncalled for ones. "Hey" I said as soon as I was next to them, no joy in my voice at all.

Ella didn't seem to notice, flashing me a bright smile that let me know she was in an unusual good mood. Ever since Harry had walked into our life, she'd become harder and harder to deal with, so it was an uncommon occurrence for her to be that happy. "Hi Sierra, was just talking to Aiden here" she said, twirling a strand of golden hair between her fingers. "He's lovely, and it is my duty as your best friend to make sure you get treated well."

I shot her a suspicious look. "What is that supposed to mean? I asked her, frowning.

She shook her head and gave me a little shrug. "Nothing!"

Aiden took the small silence that followed as his opportunity to speak. "Hey Sierra, you look lovely today" he said looking at me.

I pursed my lips at his comment. "Thank you, Aiden."

He smiled. "Well, I'll see you girls later" he added, making his way inside the classroom.

Ella stared after him to make sure he was far away enough not to hear us before turning to look at me again. "He told me he wants to ask you out on an actual date. You should say yes."

I closed my eyes for a second to refrain from rolling them. "Why should I?"

"Because he's wonderful and he likes you?" She said, acting like she was stating the obvious.

"But I don't like him" I stated, starting to get annoyed by Ella's insistence.

"And who do you like?" She asked. "Harry?" There was sarcasm in her voice as she said his name.

I frowned, confused by her behaviour.

"Oh my god, don't tell me you actually like Harry!" She said lowering her voice. "He'll never like you like that Sierra, time to get over it."

"I never said I like him" I replied, starting to feel like going inside without her.

"Just date Aiden! How the hell could you not adore him? Stop being an idiot!" She said, and I sighed.

"I'm going inside" I said, turning around swiftly to enter the class.

I stopped in my tracks when I realised that Harry was standing not more than twenty feet away from us, leaning against the wall as he often did and looking around as Niall chatted mindlessly. I wondered if he'd heard the conversation, given that Ella had been talking kind of loudly. I truly hoped he hadn't, it would've been just embarrassing.

He turned his head, involuntarily making eye contact, his green eyes burning into mine. I looked down as soon as he did, rushing inside.

I sat at my desk putting my face into my hands, hoping that Aiden would've got the hint and left me alone. But as I heard the sound of books being put on the desk next to mine a bit more forcefully than Ella would have, I realised that it wasn't likely to happen.

I looked up, widening my eyes as soon as I saw who it was.

He draped his coat over the back of the chair before swiftly sitting down on it, not even sparing me a glance.

"Did you get lost?" I muttered before I could stop myself and he looked at me, a humorous look in his eyes.

"It looked like you and your friend weren't on good terms" he simply replied.