sixty-six

It was late evening, and we were sitting on my bed. I couldn't exactly tell why we were, but it wasn't unusual for Harry to be around at the weirdest times, considering that he tried his very best to only go to his house to sleep, wanting to keep the awkward encounters to a minimum.

"I need to take a breath of fresh air" he said, a frown on his face. We'd been talking about how it was to be in that house after everything that had happened, so it didn't surprise me to know that he was feeling slightly sick.

"We can go outside" I suggested, standing up and grabbing a beige jumper from my wardrobe and putting it on, not really caring about the fact that it looked rather odd paired with my grey sweatpants, knowing that nobody would've judged me about it at such a late hour.

He nodded, standing up as well and walking downstairs behind me, putting his shoes on quickly and grabbing his coat as we made our way out of the door.

I quickly disregarded the possibility of putting something over my jumper, supposing that we wouldn't have been outside for more than ten minutes, and I grabbed the keys to my house before closing the door behind myself, not wanting to risk being locked outside.

"How did the competition go?" Harry asked me gently just to make some small talk, leaning back against the cold wall of my house.

I shrugged, letting him know that I didn't really know. "I sent in the drawing a while ago, I suppose we'll see in a few days" I replied, moving to stand next to him, feeling a little less exposed with the wall behind my back and him standing next to me.

"Are you confident you'll do well?" He asked again, surprising me a bit with how interested he seemed to be, considering that he hadn't seemed thrilled at all by my drawing of Liam.

I sighed. "Not really. I'm sure that there are a lot of people more talented than me" I told him truthfully, voicing something that I'd been worried about for some time already. How was I supposed to make a living out of being an artist, while I was sure that there were so many people so much better than me? Who would've even wasted their time with me, when they could've gone to them?

"Don't put yourself down like that" he murmured quietly, seeming slightly bothered by my words.

"It's just true" I replied with another sigh. I wish I could've been the best at what I did, but I knew that wouldn't have been realistic to even wish in the slightest.

He side-glanced at me. "As long as you'll draw only realistically you will always find someone better than you" he told me. "Try to change it up, make it more unique. In that way it won't be easy to compare your work to someone else's."

I looked at him, surprised by his suggestion, but realising that he was right right away. I wished I knew a way to do as he'd said, though. It was so hard for me to draw anything in a not-so-realistic way. It was just how I was wired to work.

All of sudden he detached his back from the wall. "Let's go somewhere" he suggested, taking his car key out of his pocket, and I widened my eyes, not having expected the few minutes in the garden to turn into something else.

But I knew I would've never told him no whenever it came to things like that, so I just said, "Where to?"

He gave me a little glance before he could enter the car. "Somewhere" he replied, almost completely unsurprisingly, and I nodded, entering the car as well and buckling up my seatbelt as he turned on the vehicle and drove away.

•   •   •

I looked out of the car window, a confused look on my face as I took in the dark nothingness around us. "What is up with you and taking me in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night?" I muttered to myself, but I must have not been as silent as I thought I'd been, because I heard Harry let out a little laugh as he turned off the car.