thirty-nine

I was putting my books in my bag when all of sudden I heard a knock on the wooden door of my bedroom. I turned around fast, discovering that my mum was standing in the doorway, a somewhat sweet look in her eyes.

"There's someone waiting for you outside" she said, making me furrow my eyebrows. I always went to school on my own, so it didn't make sense for anyone to be outside, especially so early in the morning.

I shoved the last book inside, checking fast if I had everything I needed before closing it. "Who is it?" I asked, even though a sudden realisation was starting to settle in my stomach. I didn't know many people, so I didn't have many options, and I was quite sure that neither Ella nor Aiden would've had any reason to be in front of my house at that time.

"I don't know his name, you never told me. But I think it's your friend or something like that I met a couple of months ago" she replied. "Looks like he finally made it as friend, considering he's outside." She turned around and left, leaving me to stare at the opposite wall through the door.

I stayed still for a couple of seconds, trying to take in what she'd actually said, before rushing to the bathroom and combing my hair, giving myself a fast glance in the mirror to make sure I was alright, before going back into my bedroom and grabbing my bag, making my way down the stairs fast, putting on my shoes and coat. I stopped in front of the door and took a deep breath, not wanting him to know I'd tried to get myself ready faster than I usually would've, before slowly opening the front door, discovering that Harry was definitely waiting for me outside.

I took a second to observe him, my hand still on the doorknob. He was leaning against the window on the driver's side of his car, his phone in his hand, seemingly reading something. His hair was as wild as always, proving that he'd probably already messed it up with his hand a few times since waking up, and his eyes held a concentrated look as they gazed at the screen of the device in his hands. He was wearing black jeans, as almost always anyway, and a pair of black boots, similar to the ones he often wore, but that I could somehow tell weren't quite the same. He had a black coat on, but it was open and revealed the white of the shirt he was wearing underneath. It was an overall pretty basic look, but he still managed to make it work for himself perfectly.

He looked up, and a faint blush stained my cheeks when I realised he'd caught me staring. I walked out of the door and walked towards him, not daring to meet his gaze as I approached him, observing the way he slipped the phone into the pocket of his coat.

"Why are you here?" I asked him when I reached him, trying my best to act nonchalantly and ignore the embarrassment that was still twinkling at the back of my mind.

He shrugged. "Why not?" He replied, thankfully  deciding to ignore at as well. "Get in, if we arrive late Niall will be pissed."

I rounded the car as he got in, discovering that Niall was sitting in the back only when I saw him through the window. I opened the door on the passenger side and sat in the seat quietly, putting my bag between my legs. I glanced up, meeting Niall's gaze in the rear view mirror just before he glared at Harry.

"I can't believe our parents bought you a car, and not me" the blue-eyed mumbled as Harry started the car.

Harry tapped his fingers on the wheel, his rings hitting the plastic and making a slight ticking sound. "That's because you failed your driving test twice" he deadpanned, not even bothering to look at him through the mirror, shocking me with the way he chose to expose him in front of me.

Niall crossed his arms over his chest, turning his head to send a little glare out of the window. "Still, it's unfair."

"Not really. I'm pretty sure that if you were the one with the car instead of me, I'd be dead too."