[28] Time Will Reveal Secrets.

"What the fuck did you just say to me?" His grip on her wrist is so tight at this point, Dunia thought her veins were going to pop.

"I said what I said! You expect me to sit there, all pretty and classy, and pretend to be your wife. But you won't give me a shred of respect?" She vigorously shakes her wrist free of his hold.

Barqat is stunned at Dunia's outburst.

"You expect me to sit through you, my so-called husband, playing with all these married women and not flinch a muscle? I do not know who hurt you this badly, but I pray to Allah you get to your senses before this anger leads to your downfall, Mr. Barqat Sheikh." Dunia's holding in all her pain to make her electrifying exit.

• • •

There is no fucking way I'm getting any feelings for her. Last night was a mistake, it was an enormous mistake. I'm not letting anyone else into my life. People don't do anything but let me down, why would she be any more special?

"AHHH!" Barqat kicks the tea table across room out of anger and frustration.

Dunia's acknowledgement of last night triggered Barqat. He didn't want to hear about it, he was a little drunk and feeling vulnerable as hell, she was just there to fill that void. He doesn't care what she does to impress him or spark his feelings, he won't let the same mistake happen twice.

He won't let Dunia in just for her to screw him over like them.

• • •

The moment Dunia shut her door, her knees give away and she falls to the floor. She begins crying so hysterically that it feels like her heart has been shredded from the inside. Her sobs are so raw that if one were to hear it, they would cry along with her. Every bone in her body aches from the hurt he has inflicted upon her just by saying a few mere words.

She begins sobbing harder into her hands and her tears soaked her palms. Her breathing becomes ragged and she's gasping for air in between sobs. She couldn't cry quietly, so she cries as loud as she can, but no one will come to comfort her.

That's when it occurs to her, Barqat is the one who is going to leave her undone. And when he does, she will have to go through it alone, no will be there to walk her through such a excruciating heartbreak.

Dunia stops crying as there's no more tears left, but the feelings of hurt and emptiness remains prominent.

"I swear I will find out who hurt him to make him so twisted that he's going around inflicting his pain onto others." Dunia says out loud to herself through her sniffles. "Once I find out, I will help him out of his own hell and maybe, just maybe, he'll let me leave mine, he'll let me go."

• • •

After coming back from their disastrous 'honeymoon', things didn't become any better. Barqat refuses to acknowledge Dunia and when he does, he doesn't have anything but hateful things to say. He's barely come home, she hasn't even seen him for more than a few glimpses.

It's almost been a month since Dubai. Barqat's ways with women and alcohol are not improving but becoming extremely bad.

At the office is the only time Barqat and Dunia communicate. There they pretend like they're the most perfect couple, making all the men and women envious.

Ashley isn't that stupid though, she has a feeling something isn't right. But she knows it's probably none of her business and tries to stay away from it. However, looking at Dunia and seeing the sadness in her eyes, it's hard to resist and not be nosey. 

"You okay? Mr. Devil treating you okay?" Ashley asks again with concern.

Dunia tries to smile but ends up giving her a sad smile, "Yes, of course. Why would you think anything's wrong?"

"I'm here if you need to, excuse my language, fuck anyone over. I'll be there in a heartbeat to help you hide the body." Ashley winks. She's trying to lighten up the situation.

She does manage to get a genuine laugh from Dunia. "I know I can trust you with that."

• • •

Dunia was able to make Donatella her friend. So when Barqat isn't around at him, which is most of the time, Dunia openly talks about things.

"Sir had a tough childhood. He might have all the riches in the world but home was hell for him." Donatella says as she wipes the kitchen counters.

"How so?" Dunia asks as she helps Donatella by sweeping the floors. It took Dunia a lot of convincing to let Donatella share chores.

"He caught his father cheating on his mother when he was a young boy. That alone has probably traumatized him. Shattered that little boy's world." Donatella looks sad.

"WHAT? Wait, his mother? Mrs. Sabina Sheikh?" Dunia asks.

Donatella shakes her head, "Mrs. Laura Sheikh is his mother. Mrs. Sabina Sheikh is the one poor little Sir caught with his father."

"Oh... what do you mean by caught?" Dunia asks. How traumatic was it?

Donatella's voice turns into almost a whisper, "Mr. Adnaan Sheikh & Mrs. Sabina Sheikh were in their room, at this time they were still sneaking around, and Mr. Barqat, who was 8 years old, opened the door to a very inappropriate moment." She sighs before continuing, "And the fact that the woman in the room was not his own mother, scarred him, hurt him, he didn't eat for weeks."

Dunia feels bile rising up her throat. She feels disgusted at Mr. Sheikh. Barqat was just a child, he didn't deserve any of this, I'm sure his mother didn't deserve one bit of this either. 

"Donatella... I know this might be too personal to ask. But as someone who's married to Barqat, I feel like I have the right to know the story somewhat, even if it's not the whole thing. As you know, our relationship... it's not what it is or what it should be. Barqat will never tell me anything."

Donatella nods at Dunia with pity in her eyes to continue. Dunia tries to normalize her breathing because the tension from buildup of anxiety is eating at Dunia, "Barqat once mentioned during our trip that there were people who left him. He kept saying they left him. Would you, by any chance know, who 'they' are?"

The answer might be sensitive because Dunia can see something flash across Donatella's eyes: pity mixed with sorrow?

"I... I'm sorry, if you don't want to tell or if it makes you uncomfortable, you really won't force you. It's up to you." Dunia gives her most genuine smile. She can tell Donatella became uncomfortable because of the way she's shifting her body awkwardly.

"No, I think you should know. I will not tell you the whole story as I hope Mr. Barqat Sheikh will confide in you soon." Donatella says.

I doubt it, but Dunia nods.

"Dunia's parents divorced when he was 10 because his step-mother has already given birth to Maheen the year before. His mother passed away from heart and psychological issues when Barqat was 18. She's the first one who left him, he loved his mother so much that if she asked for the universe, Mr. Barqat would make sure that it would be in the palm of her hands."

Dunia's heart strings are being pulled at. She feels so much pain, grief, and misery. She can completely understand the loss of a parent, she's lost her mother.

"The second woman..." Donatella exhales as if she's even more sad talking about this one.

- - -

A/N: second woman? 🤔

Please vote and comment and let me know how y'all feel!!