XXIII. TRAPPED

"A couple of students said they saw it running across the field and back into the woods," Sheriff Stilinski explained as he, Stiles and Harper walked down the school hall later that afternoon, "thank god nobody got hurt."

The coyote, Malia, had apparently broken into the school and chased Kira all the way to the boys locker rooms after Stiles and Harper had left. Fortunately for the Yukimura girl, Scott had been hanging around and heard her panicked breathing. He saved her and scared Malia off. Now police littered the hallways as teachers told teenagers to go home or call their parents.

Harper frowned, "what if Malia does hurt someone?"

Noah sighed, "most likely they'll have to put it down, Harper."

"Put her down!" Stiles cried, "dad, try not to forget there's a girl in there. The one that you'll be killing. Come on, you aren't back to not believing, are you?"

Stiles' dad paused in his tracks and turned to look at his son, lowering his voice as he said, "I believe there are a lot of things I don't understand yet. But that doesn't mean that everything and anything imaginable is suddenly possible. Now, are you one hundred percent sure that this is a girl and not an animal?"

Harper nodded for him, "yes. We're sure, because Scott's sure."

Stiles glanced down the empty hallway where their best friend now stood, staring across at them. He asked quietly if he had been listening, to which Scott nodded his head at.

"All right, let's get this figured out. Come on," Noah placed his hand on Stiles' shoulder and Harper's back as he escorted them down the hall.

...

Harper sat beside Scott on one of the benches in the changing rooms as he listened to whatever Kira was saying to her dad, Mr Yukimura. He seemed to have taken a liking to the new girl, but Harper hadn't asked him about it yet. Right now they had more important issues, anyway.

Police were walking around and hovering in the doorway when Stiles rushed over to the pair of teenagers, holding his backpack in his hands. It turned out Kira had been on her way delivering the three of them their bags when she was chased.

"I think I know what she was looking for," Stiles began as he pulled out the same baby doll from last night.

Scott's jaw clenched slightly as he deadpanned, "you took the doll from the car."

"Yeah, I thought you could use it, you know. For, like, her scent," Stiles shrugged in a hushed tone.

"Where did you get that?" The familiar deep voice of Mr Tate cut them off, "where did you find this?"

His face contorted into one of anger as he harshly snatched the doll from Stiles' hands. Harper watched nervously, half expecting the tired man to start screaming at them. He just stared down at it, his sunken eyes unblinking.

"It belonged to my daughter," he muttered quietly.

Sheriff Stilinski moved over to them, "Mr Tate, I don't know how you heard about this, if you got your own police scanner or what, but you can't be here."

Noah gently went to push the man out of the room, only for a look of confusion to cross his face as he touched Mr Tate. Peeling back the thick jacket he had on, he raised his eyebrows at the sight of a gun tucked in his waitband. Instinctively, Harper took a step backwards, her back pressing against Stiles.