XXXIV. STAY AWAKE

STAY AWAKE

STAY AWAKE

Just as the bell had instructed, Harper went straight back to her room, a new uplifted feeling in her chest now that she had the hope of leaving. The panic of being stuck here just like Harry had been had been at the back of her mind all week, pecking and pecking at her brain. She'd ignore it during the day, but at night, when everything was silent and Malia was asleep, she would cry into her pillow, silently praying for a way out.

But now she had Stiles, and for now that she was all she needed.

Opening the door to her room, Harper was surprised to see Malia resting on the Empath's bed. It had happened a couple of times before and normally Harper wasn't bothered, but today she just felt angry- Malia had punched her boyfriend and that wasn't okay.

"What are you doing?" She grumbled, going over to her desk and pulling her notepad out of her drawer, "that's my bed."

Malia sat up, eyebrows raised, "you sound mad at me."

Harper turned to face the werecoyote, disbelief written over her face. Sometimes Harper forgot that Malia hadn't had much human contact since she was eleven years old, she wasn't like a human in most ways.

"Maybe because you punched Stiles?" The shorter brunette scoffed incredulously, dropping the notepad onto her bed and folding her arms across her chest, "why did you even do that? What has Stiles ever done to you?"

Malia looked genuinely confused as she frowned, "oh, he's done nothing to me," she claimed innocently, "but Stiles is the guy that hurt you and tried to make you use your abilities for bad... No?"

Dropping her head into her hands, Harper shook her head. She couldn't help but feel slightly amused by the situation, knowing that Malia was only trying to be a good person like Harper had been teaching her the past week.

"Why are you laughing?" Malia folded her arms this time, "it's not funny. He stabbed your friend!"

Harper sat down next to Malia.

"Not Stiles," she began to explain, "remember how I told you that Stiles was being possessed by a demon called the Nogitsune? Stiles would never do anything like that to me, or Scott for that matter."

Malia took in Harper's words, her mind taking a second to process everything before she nodded in understanding. Guilt was etched onto her face.

"I'm going have to say sorry to him, aren't I?" She sighed when Harper nodded, "you know I don't like saying sorry."

"Well, I guess you don't have to say it if you don't mean it," Harper shrugged, opening up her notepad, "I think Stiles would rather hear no apology than a fake one. Besides, I don't think he's mad."