XXVIII. OH BROTHER

Harper winced as nails were driven into her skull, or at least that's what it felt like. As soon as she had moved onto her third beer last night, she was destined to have a hangover the next morning, however this was unlike anything she had ever experienced before. The urge to empty her stomach into the toilet came once every few minutes, her head pounding and her eyes stinging.

She vowed then and there, as she lay in her bed with a bucket to her side, that she would never touch a drop of alcohol again, no matter how great it made her feel. Because this- this feeling- this was not great.

To make matters worse, Scott had literally ran into her room at only six o'clock that morning, already dressed with a comb halfway through his hair.

"Get up," he urged her far too loudly, "we need to go to Allison's. It's about those demonic ninjas from last night."

Groaning, Harper shook her head and buried her face into her pillow. Scott took this as his best friend just being a moody morning person like always. He reached for her curtains and flung them open, allowing the early sunshine to pour through.

"No, no, no!" Harper muttered as she lifted her head up, immediately wincing and covering her eyes back up, "close them, close them."

Scott shook his head, "get up, lazy."

Harper got up, but not because Scott had told her to. She darted straight into the joined bathroom she shared with the werewolf, falling in front of the toilet and throwing up inside. Scott rushed in behind her, his mouth dropping slightly and his eyebrows raised.

Harper's body continued to throw up until her stomach was empty and she was dry heaving. Scott stroked her back, whispering comforting words as she tried not to cry from the intense pain she was experiencing.

"I'll get my mum," Scott muttered before rushing off.

The petite brunette was back in bed, her teeth freshly brushed and her hair pinned back by the time Scott came back with Melissa. Melissa kneeled down by her, placing her hand on her forehead.

"Hangover?" She sighed.

Harper nodded, "Sorry, Melissa."

Melissa shook her head, "I was the same when I was your age," she excused, "I'll get you some medicine, you take the day off of school, sweetie. Scott, don't annoy her again."

"But mum!" Scott whined.

The Hispanic woman just sent him a daring glare before exiting the room.

"You should go to Allison's," Harper suggested, "see what you can find out about those things before someone gets hurt."

Scott nodded, "Yeah, I will. Do you want me to call Stiles and tell him not to pick you up today?"

"Yeah, please," she murmured, nestling back into her pillow and duvet covers.

Chuckling, Scott leaned down and pecked Harper's forehead in a brotherly way. The two had always been best friends, of course, but since Harper had moved in two months ago, it was as if they were more like siblings now.

"Bye, Scotty."

"Bye, Harps."

Harry Valack sighed from where he had been listening behind the doorway, moving before Scott came out. Scott and Harper acted more like brother and sister than himself and Harper, and he was sick of it. He was going to get Harper to trust him more than Scott or Stiles or the rest of their pack. His life depended on it.