23.

Her confidence never failed to stun him. She said things that made his heart race, and get an unfamiliar warm feeling swelling in his heart and moving to other parts of his body, in a slow, electrifying momentum. He always had this urge to take her into his arms and kiss her, whenever she speaks such surprising words.

There was silence as he stared at her. His heart was banging in his ribcage and he folded his hands into his pockets in order to stop him from doing what his mind was screaming to him to do.    

 Clearing his throat, he looked away from her and decided to change the topic before he gave into the crazy thought running through his mind.  “Why don’t you take a shower? It’s almost time for dinner.” He said.

“Okay.” Sydney replied and moved. Glancing round the room, she asked. “Where is the bathroom?” He pointed and she went in.

When the door closed behind her, he let out a breath he did not know he was holding. His hand fell on his chest, where his heart was pounding loudly. Why does she have to say things that make him want to kiss her? He had felt the same way when she had been talking about being his future wife, earlier that morning.

Shaking his head, he tried to get thoughts of kissing her out of his mind. He should not be thinking of such things. No, he had to forget of it. Such thoughts should never cross his mind again. They were only acting and nothing would happen between them.

 Turning around, he left the room. As soon as he stepped into the corridor, he saw Rose, together with Fatima, the caretaker, ascending the staircase. Rose’s cheeks went fifty shades of pink when she saw him. He could not help the smile that broke on his lips upon seeing her flushed face. She has had a crush on him for as long as he could remember. He was surprised that even after ten years she still felt the same.

 “Rose,” he called, meeting them at the staircase.

“Good evening, sir.” Fatima greeted.

 “Good evening.” He replied to Fatima and then moved his gaze to Rose, who stood a few meters behind Fatima, probably hiding away from him. “Rose, how was your trip to town?” He asked.

“Uh… It… it was okay.” She stuttered, her gazing at her feet.

“Did you get them?” He now asked, Fatima.

“Yes. I bet she will love the dresses Lady Willow picked out for her.” She replied, to which he nodded.

“Alright. Rose, I will see you at dinner?”  The flushed young woman, nodded and then hurried away.

“Excuse me, sir.” Fatima said and then went ahead.

Anderson smiled. Rose was still the same shy and innocent girl he knew from before. She was Kathleen’s little sister, however, the sisters did not get along so well. They were two very different people. While, Kathleen had always been daddy’s girl, an extrovert and a lover of fashion and style, Rose, was mummy’s favorite, an introvert and kept everything about her life simple. No matter how different they were, he still loved both of them.  

 “Anderson, my boy.” It was Lady Willow, calling to him at the base of the staircase. 

“Lady Willow.” He threw his arms around her, in a tight hug when he descended the stairs.

“You have grown into a fine young man.” Lady Willow cupped his face between her wrinkled palms when they separated, turning it from side to side. “And you have a beautiful woman by your side.” She added.

He quickly looked away from her piercing eyes before he told her that Sydney really was not his fiancée. “Come, dinner is ready.” She took his arm and led him to the dining area.