[1.8] T h e C a l l

C h a p t e r  E i g h t
A p r i l • P o v

"Hayden, where are you going?" I frown when I notice Hayden all dressed up.

"Out," He speaks coldly, looking away quickly as he leaves.

I can't help but feel upset that Hayden just simply ditched our movie marathon, probably just to go and flirt with some other girl.

Why do I feel jealous?

I shouldn't be jealous, he's just my roommate and that's all he'll ever be.

I grab my phone and ring the only people, who can make me feel better, "April?"

I sigh, happy to hear his voice after so long, "Hey Dad, how's everything going?"

I hear shuffling in the background before someone else speaks up, "April, is that you?"

"Hey Mum, I miss you guys. You were right, university is tough."

She chuckles, "I told you, it's definitely not a piece of cake. Your Dad and I struggled to submit all our assignments on time when were at university. I'm surprised we were even able to juggle a relationship at the same time."

"It gets better. Now I know you didn't call us or more specifically me to chat about university, who's the lucky guy?"

I'm taken aback as I fall onto the living room sofa, take a piece of popcorn and pop it into my mouth, "How did you know?"

"I'm your Mum, you were in my god damm belly for 9 months. I know these things. Now tell me and thank god, your Dad is upstairs."

I breathe out deeply before letting out a sigh, "Okay." I tell her everything that has happened between me and Hayden and how I'm confused on how I feel about him.

"You like him, baby. You're jealous because you can't stand the thought of him flirting with any other girl but you."

I sigh, "Mum, I scared. I'm scared to love again, you know what happened with Noah. I'm scared that if I give my heart to Hayden, I might not get it back in one piece Mum and that scares me so much."

Mum whispers softly, "I know, I know. But that's what life is about, taking risks. Also bring him home for Christmas, I'd like to meet him."

"We'll see, mother. We'll see." I sigh, getting comfortable on the sofa.

"Hopefully he can come, now I've got to go. Call me whenever you get the chance again. I love you and I'm so proud of you. Your Dad is too."

I smile, "I love you too Mum, bye. Tell Dad I love him as well." I end the call, a feeling of determination surging through me.

I'm going to tell Hayden how I feel even if it's the last thing I do.

The front door opens and my heart drops at the sight in front of me.