GOOD OCS

Okay so, when I read a fan fic, I'm most likely there for the OC, cause I already know the TVD characters from the show!  So obviously your original character or characters are one of, if not THE most IMPORTANT part of the story

Okay so, when I read a fan fic, I'm most likely there for the OC, cause I already know the TVD characters from the show! So obviously your original character or characters are one of, if not THE most IMPORTANT part of the story.

So why do bitches be making these plainer than white bread characters all the damn time. Make your OCs have a little flair, make them have flaws, let them make mistakes, be hated, be loved. Let them add something to the story!!! I hate nothing more than reading a TVD fan fic and all it is is basically just the script copied onto wattpad.

Make your character add their own storlines and plots and let them change the original plot. So you're telling me if Elena had a twin sister, the story would just be exactly the same? NO, change things, make it unique and your own.

BAD OC EXAMPLE:

"Toast, I can make toast." My Aunt Jenna said."It's all about the coffee, Aunt Jenna." I replied

"Is there coffee?" My little brother Jeremy asked.

"Your first day of school, and I'm totally unprepared." Jenna said. "Lunch money?"

"I'm okay." My twin Elena said.

"Anything else? A Number 2 pencil? What am I missing?"

"Don't you have a big presentation today?" I questioned.

"I'm meeting with my thesis advisor at Now. Crap." She replied.

"Then go. We'll be fine." I assured.

^^^

Notice anything about that? NO ORIGINAL DIALOGUE WHATSOEVER. The OC just stole lines from Elena. If I wanted to just see content from the show directly, I would watch the damn show! A few little lines here and there is fine sometimes, but I've read fanfics where the original character says NOTHING original, in the WHOLE book!!

GOOD OC EXAMPLE:

"Toast, I can make toast." Aunt Jenna said.

I shook my head. "Hell no, first day of school calls for pancakes." I grinned pulling a skillet out from the cabinet.

"Olivia, as great as that sounds, we have no time." Elena laughed, taking the pan and putting it back in the honey colored pantry.

I pretended to pout and took a little sip from my elephant mug.

Aunt Jenna was still bustling about the kitchen. "it's your first day of school and I'm totally unprepared." She rambled. "Lunch money."

"Natalie always brings up pizza hut on the first day so I think were all good." I chuckled. "Aunt Jen, relax we're big kids, were gonna be just fine."

The strawberry blonde put on a strained smile and sighed.

Elena looked over at her before having her coffee swiped by Jeremy. "Don't you have that big presentation today?" She inquired.

"Yeah, I'm meeting with my thesis adviser right about now, crap." She stressed, looking down at her light blue watch.

Elena gave her a sypathetic smile. "Then go, we'll be fine."

^^^

Although that was rushed, it still shows that the OC has a bit of personality, and she brings a little something new to that scene. And that's the main reason people read fanfiction, to their favorite show with a twist.

So just remember to give your OCs a lil personality and shit and you'll be just fine.

Professor Melanie,
-signing out.