SUPERNATURALS

VAMPIRES

okay, so i totally get why you would want your character to be a vampire, they're immortal, they're super badass, it's a useful plot device that can explain away your ocs problems.

i also completely get why many authors turn their characters into vampires.  it's real juicy and leads to a lot of drama (i also love to read main character deaths so there's a +)

BUT, not EVERY character has to be supernatural for me to love them! mystic falls honestly needs more humans, and not just characters who have secret powers, or gain them later, or whatever.  JUST REGULAR PEOPLE!  i feel like authors always try to make their characters so outwardly special (as in they seem unique on paper)  usually what happens to be the case with these characters is they are inwardly dull, and actually not that interesting when it comes down to it.

i personally, would love to read about more normal, regular people (cause tbh in the tvd world, that makes them special in their own right with the amount of supernaturals in that damn town)

or, how about, if we do make them supernatural, we make them go through struggles with their powers.  WEREWOLVES break literally every bone in their body every full moon, let your character struggle with that.  WITCHES need to learn spells before being able to suddenly cast them, make sure there's a learning curve to your ocs magic (or maybe make them gravitate towards black magic and have them struggle with that).  and of course, VAMPIRES have this horrible, overwhelming need to feed on blood, don't make your oc this perfect 'bella swan' vamp who can control themselves 24/7.  make them feel like horrible they're people every once and a while, make them guilty.

and if you still don't want to write an average human or a realistic existing supernatural, make your character something else entirely.  i think if you are gonna make your character something other than a vampire, witch, or werewolf, it'd be cool to pick from the supernaturals legacies introduced (that way they're still technically canon in the tvd world)  here's some examples of this + other underused supernatural beings.

-dragons
-dryads
-jinnis (genies)
-mediums
-sirens
-travelers
-unicorns
-arachnes

and more (in legacies canon, pretty much anything from folk lure could exist, so that leaves many, many options you can make up for yourself)

moral of the story, don't be a basic bitch.