Chapter 18 - The tour cycle: polluted San Fran

“So yeah, if any of you guys can't home to our San Francisco concert because of pollution, just email us, you'll get your money back, and hope you get better soon.”

Brett had just finished filming this short video for his Instagram and Snapchat stories. He had seen several comments about people getting ill and having to cancel their plans on coming to the concert, so, after discussing with the TwoSet team, he decided to let everyone know it was alright. He didn't want someone coughing their left lung up during their Concerto Battle, obviously.

The boys and their new accompanist were still in the San Francisco airport, waiting for their ride to the hotel to check in. So, in the meantime, they all drank boba tea and checked social media, answering to messages from fans. A couple of minutes after Brett's story, Eddy shook his shoulder.

“Check out this meme that dude sent me.”

It was an image of someone not laughing during an actual, well structured joke, but laughing their left lung out during a "What did the ____ say to the violist?" joke. Brett let out a chuckle. Even after seeing it once on Instagram, he found that undeniably funny. He mockingly replied "yOu'Re ShIt". Soon after, their ride came up.

***

The next day, Eddy woke up with a slight throat pain. He thought it wouldn't be anything and was probably due to the large number of shows. Obviously, talking a lot was going to affect his vocal cords (or dare I say, vocal chords) at some point and he didn't think much of it. When Brett jokingly asked how he went around with the pollution, he didn't mention the throat pain. Because, what were the odds, right?

At noon, Chen felt irritated from the inside. He started thinking that it might be because of the San Fran situation, but still believed it was because of the talking.

“Hey, my throat kind of hurts. Probably cause of the shows and stuff, so don't worry if I get quiet.”

Brett worriedly placed a hand on his back.

“You sure it's gonna be fine? I wouldn't want it to get worse, babe.”

His boyfriend nodded, not wanting to get him worried. He was going to get better, because it wasn't important and everything was going to be fine. "Worrying about throat pain is useless", he thought. It happens more often than we admit.

Except he was a FOOL. During the evening dinner, the taller violinist kept coughing out his left lung, to the point he couldn't even eat. Brett forced him to go back to the hotel early and put him to bed.

“You're staying right here. Why didn't you tell me about this earlier?”

“I did.”, Chen managed to articulate in between fits of coughing.

The other boy shook his head disapprovingly.

“I'm gonna stay here with you, someone from the team agreed to get you medications at the nearest pharmacy.” He kissed the sick boy softly on his forehead. “You goof.”