The Scholar

Disclaimer: I own NOTHING! I just created a handful of characters for my own amusement.

Thank you all for giving this story a chance. I absolutely loved AQUAMAN and really wanted to write a story surrounding these characters and I wanted to explore Atlantis. I especially liked King Orm and think he might've made a great king if he had the right person with him.

If you enjoy this story, please check out other stories I've written. Summer is here so hopefully I'll update them more frequently!
________________________

She was still so furious with her father for sending her away, but she held in her rage to give her poor father a kind farewell. The devastated look on his face as explained his reasons softened her heart...but only a little. Orm was right, she thought, Father just wants me to be happy.

"I know you think something will change and that it'll be you at the Prince's side," Vulko's voice trembled at the thought of his daughter's broken heart, "But it's not to be, my pearl. I don't want to see your brilliant heart shatter because of false hope."

She nodded but didn't look him in the eye. "Where am I going?"

"Your mother had close friends in the Fishermen Kingdom," he cupped her cheek, "They're eager to teach you everything your mother couldn't. You'll love it there and I'll visit often."

"But I won't visit Atlantis?"

Vulko nodded, "It's better this way, child."

Nerida gave her father a crushing hug. She tried to put all her love into it so he would know that there was no animosity between them. "I'll make you proud, Father."

"Just be safe and happy, child." he returned the tight embrace. "That's all I ask."

After a few more heartfelt goodbyes, Nerida boarded the turtle shaped sub that carried her to her new home.

***************

Nerida fiddled with a leaf as she read through another book of essays written by King Orm. She smirked as she thought about how the Warrior King was now an outspoken philosopher. King Orvax wouldn't have approved but Queen Atlanna would've been proud. She placed the delicate leaf in an intricately designed box Orm sent her as a birthday gift during their separation. The message that came with it said it was inspired by ancient Atlantian art and was made by the King's own hands. She hoped to share some of the treasures she collected from the Surface World with him. As she clasped the box shut, a knock on her door pulled her from her revere.

"My lady," a voice called, "The Scholars are almost ready for your presentation."

"Thank you," she gracefully nodded toward the servant, "I'll just refreshen up then head down."

Nerida truly flourished within the Fishermen Kingdom. It was a peaceful place where emphasis was placed on knowledge, logic, and wisdom. But only a fool would make the egregious mistake of calling the Fishermen weak. They knew the value of the trident but relied on their minds as their ultimate weapon. Nerida knew how to use the trident but preferred her golden twin swords. When she wasn't sparring with the palace guards, she spent her time with The Scholars. The Scholars consisted of a small group of academics from each kingdom that researched new technologies, history, marine biology, medicine, art, etc. Nerida was fascinated with Atlantis' ancient history just like her mother before her. The hours she dedicated studying the ancient tomes of Atlantis made The Scholars smile with pride. It was as if the sands of time turned backwards when a different Lady Vulko poured over volumes of tomes and fractured artifacts believing that Atlantis' salvation could be found in the past.