41 - Consequences - Part 2

Adam Celeste's Point Of View

I have two children.

Eric and Lily.

I never knew how to act towards Lily when I found out she was a girl. As shameful as it is I am not good at dealing with the fairer gender, but I named her Lily for the meaning of the blue calla lily.

Femininity and refined beauty.

I hoped she would grow as beautiful as her mother had been the first time I met her.

Looking back, I am sure her father had taken Adela out that day without the knowledge of her mother. Otherwise Adela would likely never have worn a dress so simple.

We were at the fresh age of 13, and I was certain it was love at first sight. I gave her a necklace I felt would suit her beauty, and in return she gave me a small red brooch. I pinned the brooch to the collar of my shirt, and I have for every day since then. Even when Adela turned to a woman I didn't recognize, and we drifted apart.

I left Lily with Adela. I didn't know how to raise a girl, and I felt guilty for falling out of love with Adela.

As Lily grew up I went to see her a couple of times, but as expected she shook with fear and cried the first time she saw me. The next she stood frozen in fear.

I thought the right decision was to pull myself away, but as I look back and compare then to now I see clearly that I should have done something. What exactly I do not know, but... by a mere coincidence a reckless and cruel comment from Lily sent Adela into shock.

I was certain that Adela was no longer the woman I loved, but as she appeared that night she was exactly as the first time I met her.

I... lost it a bit as I saw her like that.

Still, Lily changed drastically after she was poisoned. She became assertive, and the air around her changed. She stopped idolizing Adela, however, she's beginning to get along with Eric. I knew the two of them avoided each other until just a little while ago.

Most surprisingly, she stopped getting along with the young prince. Eric even expressed his distress over this fact.

I honestly didn't know what to do, and neither how to ask Adela to ask for what had happened.

His Majesty the king was also worried enough to actually express his worry about the matter. This was unexpected. His Majesty hardly ever pays any attention to House Celeste, so that such a small matter was pointed out was unexpected. I can only assume that his Majesty was persuaded to ask by his wife.

Of course I could only answer that it was likely merely the fickle heart of a young girl. However, I am now certain I was wrong.

We went to a tea party at House Salender to... confirm some rumors about the Crown Prince of Iuthia's fiance being declared a genius, and the country rapidly gaining influence because of that.

That evening Lily danced with the crown prince.

As expected.

This was the first time I saw them together properly.

I knew immediately that it was nothing like the fickle heart of a lady.

Her expression was nothing like anything Adela had ever made.

However, I had seen that expression before.

On the face of my great grandfather, a great general of our army back when we still got in war often.

Her expression was the same. The look of a warrior enduring the presence of a political enemy.

My great grandfather was known as a stubborn man. To think that Lily would take from my side of the family. If she had even a bit of great grandfather's stubbornness then she would go to quite the extent to get out of the engagement.