128 - Helena and Jesmaine's Second Part

Helena's Point Of View

This is quite frankly... awkward...

I'm sitting in a fancy carriage next to the Princess of Crinia, also supposedly a creator of the 'Doki Doki Flower Academy' game we are currently in. That in itself is fine and all, but the atmosphere in here is thick enough to cut, and I don't think it's because of me. The black haired dark magician Prince Jacques is currently across from us with a scowl on his face while cautiously looking out the window. There is no apparent intention of making conversation. You'd think he would be on a horse if he hates being near us that much.

I'm curious about Catarina.. but she's been staring at me excitedly for a while now which makes me a bit embarrassed. More importantly, I have questions for Prince Jacques. I should be able to count on Catarina's support if things go awry. I know from Lily that dealing with powerful people is a problem, and I just exactly got the chance to be with Jesmaine. I couldn't screw it up.

"Your highness, Prince Jacques, why did you decide to take Jesmaine as your fiance?"

A perfectly polite question. He could still deny answering though, but there should be nothing wrong. The tall dark haired figure finally turned his attention towards me for a little while.

"Ho~ that matters to you?"

Somehow his words had a hint of lingering bitterness in them and his violet eyes narrowed at me with suspicion... why was he already suspicious?! I note Catarina's lips curl up into a small grin at his words and their eyes meet. Catarina's grin widens while her eyes light with curiosity. Jacques glares at her in return.

"Of course. Jesmaine is important to me, and in the game you were a cruel and cold hearted villain." I gamble. If Catarina is a creator and she talked openly about having created me, then prince Jacques probably already knows... wait... if he knows then why wouldn't Jesmaine have known he knows? Furthermore, why wouldn't he have told Jesmaine?

"A villain... huh..."

Jacques' hands squeeze tight and he looks back out the window with another scowl. He turns his body to the side away from us with crossed arms, and his lips twitch a bit from little momentary frowns. Somehow... it looks like my words hit a weak spot.

Catarina's grin fades as she now looks at me with widened eyes of shock. Then between Jacques and I multiple times. She even goes as far as to glare at him once. Then she suddenly smiles wide and grins at Jacques as if she found the perfect way to mess with him... I'm a bit worried. He doesn't look like he is in a mood to be messed with.

"Ooooh! That's right, Jes-chan called you a villain in front of all the handmaidens and the guards and compared you to Alstair and called you more evil than him. I told you before that she hates you but to even say she thinks you think of her as property, just how cold have you been to her?"

Jacques ignores her blatantly. His body twitches at her words and he lets out a long breath, but other than that he ignores her. That said, that is how Jacques was described in the game after all.

"Jesmaine is honest, kind and has a warm personality. She would never consider using my position for her personal gain. She'd make a good wife and a brilliant mother. She may be bad... even horrible at dealing with intrigue, but a loyal handmaiden should be able to help her when needed once the war ends... If I had left her back then she would have ended up in deep trouble and used by the people around her that she believed were her friends."

I didn't expect an answer like this out of him, but Jesmaine did say he was prone to lying. Catarina looks pretty sullen she was being ignored though. She had crossed her arms and legs only to click her tongue at him now. Again, Jacques ignores her.