125 - Headal's First Part

Crown Prince of Headal Jacques' Point Of View

There are six 'elements' of magic in this world. Air, Earth, Water and Fire form the basic and most common magic in this world.

There are multiple restrictions in using magic, and most importantly is it that it cannot affect a body directly. By directly I mean things that affect the body such as healing, flying, body enhancements and so on. According to the scholars, the magic ends up interacting with the mana in your body and causes a sort of internal explosion.

Now, you may start to point out the oddity that light magic users affect the body of other people, in the way that they shouldn't be able to. You'd be right. It has been suspected that light and dark faeries aren't even the same creature as the others. However, the day Augustus came down the mountain I believe I figured out why thanks to an impressed outburst from Morke, my faerie.

Most of the floodwave had apparently been a water spirit. What is interesting about that, is apparently that these spirits are usually asleep and have no desire to interact with people. Though, more importantly, there are four elements of spirits. Air, earth, fire and water. Additionally, these spirits and faeries are on bad terms. According to Morke, the elemental faeries kind of grab the spirits, twist them and bend them to make their spells happen. Light and Dark spirits, however, do not exist.

My standing theory is that the spirits themselves are preventing any use but external as a sort of grudge.

Theories aside, Morke is a fairy of darkness. These two kinds of magic are quite different from the others. The biggest downside is that they lack the offense of the elemental faeries.

Light magic is specialized in the human body. Healing, minor enhancements they call blessings and a raw mana shield. It is magic for the living, and to make more people survive.

Morke's magic, dark magic, is magic for the dead.

The first and most important ability is to be able to see, hear and talk with the dead. If the dead here have too many grudges or regrets, or have a last wish that they will not let go, then they cannot ascend to judgement. Most accept their death calmly and settle with that there is nothing more that can be done and that they no longer need to worry, but with willpower, stubbornness or emotion, it is possible to force yourself to stay behind.

In other words, I can talk with executed spies, diplomats, soldiers, generals, geniuses and so on. Furthermore, this is known in Headal. Didn't have time to teach the royal family in life, or got killed? Don't worry, we can hear you.

As the royal family blessed with dark magic, we thrive on knowledge and a big part of our education is to reflect on the actions and results of other people's experiences.

There are, however, some restrictions. We cannot manipulate the dead directly. They have their own will and can come and go as they please. If they're a bother you can only block out all spirits, or hope another ghost stops them.

We do have one very important spell though. It is the only close to offensive spell we have, and in the end it's effectiveness comes down to how well you have interacted with the ghosts around you. Ghost Field is a spell that thins out the barrier between the dead and the living, and lets the dead take shape in our world. Well... half take shape. They are immune to physical attacks, and you must use magic to kill them. If the object or thing touching them is not imbued with mana in some way, then it goes straight through them. In turn, however, they can apparently do direct damage on the soul. Once the stability of a soul is interrupted enough by damage, it fragments, killing even living people.

Now, knowing how much information we get from conversing with those on the other side, Ristaze is always extremely cautious with manipulating information and have more propaganda than you are probably imagining.