48 - The Beginning of A New Journey

It's been 8 years, and I have finally reached adulthood.

So, before anything else, let's confirm my progress over the last eight years.

First of all, I can proudly say I've finished my queen's training. It still took most of my time of the day during the last eight years, but it always ended in the early afternoon, so there was time for my physical and combat training that would last until evening.

Of course it was a pain to keep the training secret. Especially since there were always some sneaky people among the new people we hired.

Anyway, when I began practicing the art of the sword, I won over Eric in all but two aspects. Endurance and reflexes. I beat him until I reached the point of exhaustion, whereafter that I ended up being mostly defenseless. As such, I have focused on endurance and reflex training.

I admit I quite enjoy the long evenings of training and the early morning run. Compared to before I feel relaxed and it feels a bit like being back home...

As for my more Lady like classes... I- I just can't embroider. I hate it. It's pointless labour that should be considered below the rank of nobles. My teacher tells me that it is a beautiful sign on favor to give, if Alstair is ever to go to war... but like I would let myself be left behind for a war. No matter who my future husband is.

So, since I am not doing all too well at embroidery, and averagely at everything else... mother demanded that, if nothing else, I must excel at dancing.

Apparently the dance with Lionel had impressed her and the adults around her, so they were expecting to see more.

Dancing is indeed a good way of displaying both physical but also some mental skills, used to plan the dancing route if your are a man, and the exchanging of information between the two parts when it comes to moves.

All in all, I am fine with most parts of dancing. Just not being as physically close to random men as the dances this culture demands.

For now I'm avoiding the non-mandatory class of singing. Not that I cannot sing... but whenever I try my throat knots up.

...either way, while I am stuck in embroidery class, Eric is practicing strategy and swordplay.

Of course, as the years pass by Eric got to my level. If not for the many other classes he had to take, then he would likely have overtaken me as well. Time and dedication makes a big difference. I do feel like I've reached a new insight in using the sword though. My style now is likely a mix of classical swordplay from home, and whatever moves fit in. Surprisingly Father actually helped a lot in working out the next steps in the style.

Eric has been studying with hardly any rest ever since the siege. To be quite honest I am amazed at his determination. However, Ameline has scolded me for making Eric grow up too quickly. That I've gone too far.

I don't think so, but it's probably because of the memories of my former life, where I suppose we are forced to grow up faster there. My former world was quite different. We didn't have as much time to grow up.

Eric asked me once about my former world, but explaining an intelligent sickness that makes you go mad and hunger for human flesh is... difficult. Not to mention zombies.

Furthermore, the sickness rate was higher, the wealth lower. The weather a good deal worse. Yearly skirmishes on all borders is almost a given, war isn't though. Killing is a duty, and I suppose the way we deal with commoners was different too. One insult from them towards us and their lives were forfeit. At least in our clan. Others were more tolerant.

Eric had muttered something along the lines of 'brutal control caused by brutal conditions'.

I do suppose that it could be scary that all dead that do not get burned can turn into monsters.