108 - Pointless Arguing

As we got to the battlefield it was clear that we'd be fighting. The Tepet troops were ready, and the enormous glacier we had made yesterday was shattered and now littered the area with shards of ice. Someone appeared to have used earth spears repeatedly to remove it.

"Augustus."

I don't want to react to the name, but knowing who it comes from I cannot ignore it. Lionel walks up to me unfazed as usual and phrases his request simply and immediately.

"Lord Tepet, requests your participation during the next time we crack their shield wall on the southern side of the pass." Lionel stands tall and rank among his little group of cautious and curious knights, and as usual his eyes are sharp and cold. Nothing but business and tenseness lingers. In comparison his knights seem like they're looking at a monster. Most of the Tepet army has been looking at me like that ever since I cut down the enemy officer.

Considering that, I suppose it's comforting that Lionel still looks at me the same way he usually does. Unfazed. I've scared him multiple times as we grew up, mainly when he was rude, so perhaps he's just gotten used to it. Either way he sure bounces back fast. There isn't even a trace of the conversation from yesterday in his expression.

"We will comply to Lord Tepet's wish," I reply courteously and put on the plate helmet again and turn towards the front line and start walking. Lionel joins me and walks next to me, our personal bodyguards a step behind us.

"They are not cute."

Putting pride and stubbornness aside, Lionel won our little verbal argument yesterday. I don't like losing. Though, more importantly I want him to consider how outrageous his words yesterday were. Lionel's expression goes blank for a while, then he raises an eyebrow at my words.

"They are cute," he replies back while crossing his arms... and I don't miss where he put the pressure. Not only does it sound indirectly like calling me not cute, but he is trying to balance and correct those words from yesterday... he actually noticed his little mishap from yesterday and now tries to fix it... like I'm going to let you fix it that easily... Objective of this argument: Make Lionel quit due to embarrassment as I had to yesterday.

Ah, also, if Lionel does give in and call me cute, he loses. His objective was to fix that sentence from yesterday after all.

Again, Lionel's closest bodyguard seems like he is beginning to panic and scold Lionel for his words. He won't though. He's probably confused at why we started arguing. I feel the corners of my lips curl into a grin, thankful that it's hidden under the helmet.

"No no, they are not cute, at least not on their own. Asher said so as well, and you certainly wouldn't look cute wearing them," I make a tiny break and set up the situation by using the words Asher had used yesterday.

"Wearables are not cute on their own, you must have seen someone cute wearing them to make you form said opinion," I add to set up the trap.

I watch his reaction closely, but Lionel narrows his eyes at me, probably a tad annoyed with my comment, but has yet to realize what is happening. Let's see you get out of this one unscathed stubborn sadist.

"They can easily be cute on their own," he argues back simply, but gives me suspicious glances. He just intends on using word against word... but I've prepared for this, and he walked right into my verbal trap.

"Mmm~ no no, Lord Lionel, a frilly dress would be cute on a little girl, but not on you, neither on a fertile or very old woman. As such you must have seen someone on which they made you feel they were cute."

The next look from Lionel is very expressive, and something along the lines of 'What in the world are you trying to do?'. Meanwhile his knight is beginning to look more curious about our conversation, probably wanting to know who this 'cute person' was.

It is about this point that Lionel finally realizes what is going on. If he says yes, then he's calling me cute, and I just cut off his standard 'no' route.

His eyes widen for a moment in confusion, staring at me intensely. Then raises an eyebrow at me again as he considers his answer... then... he places his hand on my shoulder with a polite smile... though his eyes are gleaming. We stop.

"Certainly you are cute, Augustus. Like you'd expect of a Lady."

...he gave in? That means I won, right? He doesn't look embarrassed at all though, neither like he's sincerely flattering me. By the look in his eyes he's making fun of me... and his words sound an awful lot like an insult... and his knights have gone sheet white...

I should mention that though he is certainly making fun of me, his guard is up. He's expecting to be tossed or punched. By the conditions set, I've certainly won... but this undeniably feels like a loss right now. Furthermore, he's doing this in front of all the knights too, my own included. If I back down now it's definitely my loss again. I do not want to lose again. I pull out one of the meaner replies I've got.

"Oh~ you like the face of the prince's fiancé that much?" Comes out of me as a bemused sneer at his teasing.

As expected Lionel kind of goes blank at my words for a moment. I watch satisfied as he pulls back, but without a hint of anger at my question... oddly... it was a question that could certainly get him in trouble though. He seems to consider his answer for a while with this serious look before answering without hesitance in his voice:

"Lady Lily is someone I have admired for many years, since both of us were kids, and as expected from the crown prince's fiancé she is a beautiful young woman." He then smiles calmly, without a hint of frustration. He uncrosses his arms and then watches me closely and confidently.

I believe that there are some words and phrases that disarm people, and Lionel used one just now. It was prudent, it was respectful, and changed the subject of the argument onto a different matter. It was a sincere compliment, rather than the odd hint of interest left from yesterday.

Still, respect? From when I cut down the maid at Salender mansion perhaps? That would make sense.

Asher walks up next to me with a small smile. We've spent enough time fooling around.

"I will end the matter for now, Lord Lionel."

Lionel gives a slight smile at my words of 'for now', and then replies with a more serious tone as his smile fades.

"You will be assigned further down the line. I'll be placed near the center, mostly stationed in the third row today unless something happens. Be careful and don't charge in too far. A couple of lines at a time is enough." He conveys this single warning.

I don't intend on going in deep. I could, but from observing the battle yesterday I know we would could end up in big problems and completely isolated as well. In, destroy and kill as much as possible, and then out before exhaustion sets in.

I note Lionel's glance to Asher and then down the line towards Peony.

"I will be back." We split from Lionel's group like this, and but a few minutes later the battlefield erupts with a nightmare of sound.