The New Daer - Shik

I woke up early, earlier then my alarm was set, I stretched out my arms as I yawned and I then smiled at my sleeping Jasper, who was curled up to my side, I carefully picked him up, I had gotten into a habit of holding him a certain way, one arm keeping him stable by being under his back legs and rear end, and the other arm is wrapped around his shoulders, I shook my head to wake myself up, this wasn't the time to be caught up in my happy, sleepy thoughts.

I slowly got out of bed trying not to wake Jasper as he pressed against me in his sleeping state, I felt guilt building up inside me knowing I'd have to wake up this precious being, but luckily he woke himself up.

Once we were ready to go, we left the house to wait for the hired driver, I was getting impatient after a few minutes, so it was lucky that they came up beside us not long later, the driver was a man with a natural resting grumpy face, he curled up his tail to help Jasper stay on the motorvehicle, and I could tell by watching the man hide his smile that he was all to excited to be around a Daer as they aren't as common around this area.

The drive took around forty minutes and would have been boring if I hadn't of been distracted by Jaspers adorable curiosity over the simplest and most common buildings, plants and animals, he didn't even seem to notice we were slowing down until the motorvehicle had completely stopped.

I lifted Jasper off the motorvehicle and then got distracted by discussing the details of hiring the driver, such as how I'd need to inform him when I wished to go back home a few hours before I plan on actually leaving, I glanced over to Tak, I was surprised to see Jasper beside him, Tak was trying to convince my Jasper to go inside, I smiled to myself seeing him catch on to what was wanted from him and going inside, "um sir?" Spoke up the driver, "oh! Very sorry, sorry" I apologised and started trying to wipe the smile from my face.

"I see your eager to get inside, well we'll discuss payment on your return trip" stated the driver, he gave me a grin and turned the engine back on, I waved awkwardly and speed walked to Tak who was mocking me, "oh shut up, let's see this Daer" I groaned, Tak's eyes lit up and he led me inside, he began telling me everything he had texted me, except in more detail.

I began to hear yipping and barking, and growling, so Tak and I entered the room he had told me held the Daer, it looked unhappy and quite dirty, Jasper was growling and then the other one growled and then there was some yipping, I didn't understand the situation but decided not to step in unless it got violent.

Suddenly after some silence, my Jasper let out a melodic yip and then suddenly the other Daer began barking strangely, it then collapsed, it had looked so tense and scared before, but now it looked exhausted, I wanted to run over and cuddle the poor creature, but I held myself back, I didn't expect to see Jasper walk over and sit beside it, almost like he was comforting it, I suddenly knew to leave them alone, how could I stand here and cause more stress in the poor thing.

"I don't think it has an owner" I told Tak, his eyes brightened in excitement, I tried to keep my cool, I couldn't let the excitement building up in me to fog my mind, "but we will need to take it to the vets, it doesn't seem injured but we need to make sure, plus you might not be allowed to keep it" I explained, Tak gave me a childish look, "come on I know you want to have a play mate for your Jasper" purred Tak, I gave him a fake glare and he merely laughed it off.

Once we heard some yips which wasn't that much longer after we had left, that was when I decided would be the right time, it needed a bath, it could get infected or have some unseen injury, so we entered as carefully as possible, the Daer looked uncomfortable, so I carefully stepped past it and lead Jasper away, hoping to create a form of understanding that we weren't going to hurt it.

I then approached it, the Daer didn't run which was pretty amazing, although it could be simply to exhausted, I gently touched it, it flinched but didn't bolt off, I then tried to comfort it with a pat on the head, I concentrated on how I picked up Jasper, I know it's a dangerous move to make, but its to exhausted plus I trusted Jasper's judgement, so I put one arm underneath it and the other around its shoulders, it struggled weakly but quickly gave up and leant into my fur, it Yipped to Jasper who replied in a yip of his own, it seemed reliant upon Jasper to feel safe so we'd need to keep them together, Tak gave me pleading eyes as he approached us, I gave in and gently handed over the Daer who Yipped at Jasper who replied yet again, it was plain adorable.

We carried the two to the bathroom and they began another round of back and forth, "I made the bath before you got here, I thought you'd manage to work your charm on it, and I was right, well not completely right" admitted Tak, I sighed in disbelief at his faith in me, then I put Jasper down to help remove the fur substitute from the very unhappy Daer, it had a different body type to Jasper, so this must be a female, we placed her in the bath and I quickly got Jasper out of his fur substitute and into the water to prove that the water was safe.

The Daer made lots of unhappy whining noises, but we continued our cleaning and examination, because if she did have a wound that we hadn't seen, well I'd feel like the worst being to ever exist! The water was a horrid brown colour and I was all to happy to remove Jasper once the other Daer was clean, we redressed them and the female had stopped whining now, but the two kept communicating, she looked like she'd fall asleep right here on the tiled floor, so we took them out and carried them to the spare room, my Jasper was wonderful, seeming to comfort her to sleep, it made my heart throb with love and I left the room.

"They are such adorable creatures!!" Gasped Tak, I clutched my chest for a second, "alright! you are so going to keep that one, they're so adorable" I exclaimed, Tak nodded at me and we called the vet, the vet said that she'd come out to check the situation and make a judgement, and that she'd like to receive information about Tak's home, and suddenly we were impatient to see if we'd get to keep this new Daer.