Not alright - Byron

"What meat do you think this is?" Cecilia asked me, she was sat on the friends lap and examining a small cut of meat, I frowned at it and shrugged, I was sat on my owners lap and he was handing me another piece of food, "tastes like rabbit.. Doesn't have the same texture though" commented Cecilia, I chewed on the vegetable and gave her my best 'gross!' Face, she ignored my look and ate the piece of meat.

It was weird seeing her be chill in this type of situation, she didn't even struggle when they placed us on their laps, and began hand feeding us small pieces of food while they ate the food with forks, "isn't this ridiculous?" I asked, she gave me a side glance, "sure is" she agreed, I rested the back of my head against my owners chest and glanced up seeing the plate he held in one hand, his other hand lowered a piece of the strange meat and I opened my mouth accepting the food, "good boy!" Teased Cecilia, I grumbled at her and chewed the piece of meat.

Once the sky had completely darkened Cecilia got off the friends lap and grabbed my arm, I followed her to the tent and we stood at the gate, the ropes not allowing us to go any further, our owners watched us till the friend got up and undid our ropes and closed the gate, Cecilia led me into the tent and fell amongst the blankets, I rolled my eyes and joined her, "we need to name them" she blurted out, I waited for her to explain herself, "you know, we need to give them names to refer to them as" she mumbled, "Fred and Bob" I said trying to sound serious, "sounds good" she decided, I wanted to laugh, "wait, I was joking" I stuttered, "don't matter, yours is Fred and mine is Bob" she stated confidently, "whatever" I sighed out softly.

I was jolted awake from my not quite asleep state, my owner was at the tent entrance, I could tell due to the soft light which is probably moonlight, Cecilia fidgeted beside me and yawned before making a quiet squeak noise, "he damn near gave me a heart attack!" She sleepily grumbled, "he looks lonely" I grumbled getting up, "wait what? No, I don't want to be alone" she whined, my owner lifted me up and Cecilia held onto his arm as he headed to his tent, I pressed my head into his short fur and enjoyed the warmth.

He placed me in his sleeping bag, it was a big thing with pillows and a blanket over the top which had been tossed aside as if he had just thrown it off himself, Cecilia placed herself in front of me had her back against my chest and stomach, my owner wriggled in behind me and hugged me firmly after pulling the blanket over us, I hugged Cecilia in turn, I saw in a small flash two younger faces stuck in an image of laughter "one of my cousins believed spooning was sexual and he was so shocked when me and his older brother told him it wasn't, I don't think he believed us" I told her, "and your telling me this now? Why?" She asked, "this just made me think about it" I mumbled softly, she made a hum noise before falling silent, I could only concentrate on fighting tears as laughter sounded in my head.

Morning came crashing down on me like an obese bird, my owner trying and failing to move quietly and quickly, the bird like creatures screaming some mysterious death song and the creatures along the ground could be heard scattering, I looked at Cecilia who was stretching out her arms and smiling, "how can you be so relaxed" I groaned, she shook her head in disbelief, my owner lifted me up and I happily pressed into his warmer body, he was walking along till he stopped, I looked down to see the fence gate and Cecilia holding his arm, "Fred's a great sleeper" happily pointed out Cecilia, "what have I started" I sleepily groaned, I was placed in the fenced area and Cecilia walked in, the gate was quickly closed.

I really hated being locked in, it felt like he had no trust but then again this is a dangerous place for us, and I knew my annoyance was unjustified, the friend or 'Bob' came over with two of those grape like fruits, it was a rather pleasant morning, by the time the sun was reaching the top of the sky, my owner came over with leashes, he attached them and handed Cecilia's to 'Bob' this nickname thing is actually kind of fun.

They walked us to the woods, I hated the very thought of walking amongst beasts that would not hesitate to kill me, but I followed along being sure to stay near my owner, while Cecilia very quickly started examining everything that surrounded us, I couldn't help but see her as one of those dogs who can't stop sniffing at everything, the friend needed to tug on her leash from time to time to get her to pay attention and begin walking again, the path was pretty straight forward with a few dips and rises, we turned along a smaller path which seemed relatively unused compared to other paths we had passed, I moved closer to my owner and avoided branches that reached out from bushes.

We stumbled into a clearing along a hill top, I glanced down at a steep drop and saw a lake alongside some small bushes, a couple strange furry creatures were drinking from the water, Cecilia was almost hanging off the ledge trying to see what the creatures were, everyone had stopped and 'Bob' tied Cecilia's leash to a tree, she sat and dangled her legs in a distracted way, I guessed my owner was doing the same for mine.

I glanced back and saw the two set up a picnic blanket and drop a backpack which must have held some food, I laid back and let my legs slightly go over the edge, I couldn't help it, the blue sky was vast, the small white clouds so familiar, faces seemed to pop up and suddenly I was shaking, tears were running down my face.

Why now!

Cecilia was over me.

My shoulders were being shaken.

I couldn't control it.

I began sobbing.

Snotty, teary sobbing.

She hugged me tight and I held her right back.

"I never said goodbye!" I cried out

"I know" she empathised

"What if I never see them again?" I whimpered shakily

We stayed in relative silence, minus my disgusting crying.

My owner appeared before me.

He's patting my head.

She's rocking my shoulder.

Its odd, I'm outwardly breaking, but now all I want is to stop burdening them, I inwardly just want myself to stop, I don't want to be so weak.

He's carrying me now, the teat of a children's bottle was being put against my lips, despite the embarrassing scenario of being bottle fed water, I wanted to drink it, water has always helped me when I've been upset, I lifted my arms and took the bottle from him, gulping down the delightful cold fluid, my sobs finally coming to a halt and my face being wiped with a tissue, my eyes met Cecilia's who's were red and wet, and I couldn't believe my cruelty.

Authors note: the last scene is based off of a breakdown I once had a month or two ago, you wouldn't think a horses death could ruin your life but it sure can, I had somehow convinced my mum to lie down with me and sky watch hoping to help her because she's struggling to deal with the loss, but I was the one who ended up shattering into pieces