Sit - Byron

The day went by quickly, with food being nudged at my lips till I opened my mouth, then me being carried back to the tents, everything being packed away, it was all a blur of nothingness.

I only snapped out of it when we arrived at the 3rd home, the more 'modern' one, my owner was pulling the wagon and I was curled up amongst everything, I glanced up slowly to see Cecilia's sullen face staring at the ground, "what's your favorite thing to do?" I asked, trying to distract the both of us, her reddened eyes watched me sadly, "I guess I like to dance, not a specific type of dance, just for fun, though I guess that also means I enjoyed listening to fun music" she muttered, I gave a fake small smile, "I always liked to grab a DND book and pretend to be the monsters and beasts for my sister" I told her, I felt my thoughts begin to drift so I shook my head trying to right my thoughts, "but I do enjoy screaming out to songs, its just fun" I added softly.

I was left alone in the backyard, so I slowly and weakly did my business, I felt slightly better with a small weight off my shoulders but now it felt like several more weights were hanging above me, ready to weigh me down and leave me crawling through my own thoughts and fears.

The day remained quiet, with plenty of bottles left out and canned food being given for dinner, Cecilia was silent and left me to myself, only at bedtime did I receive attention, and it was in the arms of my very concerned owner, he held me tight and gurgled softly, and I buried my head into his fur, enjoying the warmth and kindness.

The next day was different, the morning routine of breakfast and water was changed to just water, they held the cans and seemed to be gurgling something at us, I recognised the gurgled word for my name, so I watched my owner in confusion, they ended up doing that strange miming thing that owners do when they reenact what they are wanting, they sat and repeated a strange word, so I sat and watched him, Cecilia hesitantly copied me, our owners jumped up and clapped, making cutesy gurgles which must be praise, then our bowls were filled, Cecilia was giggling at the stupidity of it all and I snorted a bit, it truly was funny to watch how they got so intent on showing us to sit.

Once we ate they gave us time to go toilet and then have a bath, it was incredibly uncomfortable, me sitting naked on one side and Cecilia on the other, 'Bob' set about cleaning her and my owner cleaned me, I took the initiative and cleaned my privates but he still insisted on it much to my dismay, like sure he thinks I'm an animal who couldn't possibly understand to properly scrub, but I'm obviously showing discomfort, sometimes I'd really like to know their reasoning, Cecilia was putting up a fuss, she sounded both angry and desperate, I chose to remain silent and try to keep his sponge away, Cecilia fell silent and I glanced over at her face, seeing her looking defeated, I felt real bad for her, it's not nice having anyone clean you when you're completely able, not from the society we're from.

"What if I turn aggressive?" She growled as we were being dried, I watched the dirty water get sucked into the drain, "you'd be taken away and have me all alone here" I stated, she sighed, "it just feels weird, like I get it, we're animals, we're pets, we get sweaty, we have no fur to protect the skin from dirt, but do baths really need to get that thorough?" She asked the frustration lingering in her voice, I shrugged, "I guess they just don't want to take chances and completely be there to protect us from everything that could happen, I don't know but that's all I can guess" I muttered.

They carried us out, Cecilia was ignoring 'Bob' completely, while I didn't mind leaning into my owners warmth, "why can't Fred own me?" Asked Cecilia, I laughed softly, "no idea, you're probably to wild for him" I teased, she rolled her eyes and looked around, we were in the backyard, the strange door was closed fully and now we had no way back in, they put us down and a beany like thing was put over my hair, the same for Cecilia, our owners reached into a tub and grabbed a few biscuit like things, they faced us and repeated the word from before, so I sat, eager to get this over with, as it was obvious now, they were trying to train us, Cecilia still ignored Bob and I received a biscuit, it tasted strange, not disgusting, but better then the canned food.

My owner repeated a new word, he tried a bunch of random acts before I finally understood, he wanted me to stand, so I got up again, Bob was still struggling, trying to encourage Cecilia who walked away, she watched me with a teasing grin and sat in the sun, my owner gave me a new treat, he spent the next while teaching me 'sit' and 'stand', Bob grew defeated and gave Cecilia the treats before sitting beside her, she happily chomped down, "got him around my finger" she claimed, I rolled my eyes, the sun felt wonderful on my back, so I lay down, filling my mind with ideas and plans, ideas and plans on how to make this work, for both me and Cecilia.

I heard my owners footsteps so I sat up and looked at him, he had his phone out and was pointing it at Cecilia and Bob, I glanced at them, in a weird way it was cute, Cecilia lying down and Bob using her belly as a pillow, she had her hands behind her head in a relaxed way and her eyes met mine with a cheeky grin, "great pet isn't he?" She giggled, I rolled my eyes at her childishness and lay back down, my owner joined me this time, he pointed the phone down at us, I pressed my face into his neck, I never was one for photos being taken of me, he wrapped a arm around me and I cuddled up to him, enjoying the warmth of both the sun and his body, it was a relaxing thing that melted my thoughts away and for once I couldn't feel the cold air and I could finally enjoy the peace of an empty mind.