Chapter 13

The next morning I'm woken by a call from Spike telling me to get my arse out of bed and turn on the local 24 hour news channel.

      'What the fuck are you talking about?' I say groggily, rolling over in bed.

      'You're a celebrity, man, you'll see. Just go watch it then call me back when you're done.'

      Grumpily I make my way into the living room and switch on the TV to the news channel. It's a report on youth-related crime, showing CCTV images of kids breaking into cars and smoking shard.

      'Just yesterday,' the narrator says, 'a brazen daylight attack in the city centre left one sixteen-year-old male admitted to hospital with a fractured nose and minor concussion.'

      CCTV footage flashes up on the screen showing two youths running down the street, one crashing into the other from behind, before proceeding to beat the shit out of him. 'The suspect in question is unknown to police and still at large.'

      'Holy shit,' I squawk as I recognize my black hoody.

      'Anyone with any information on the suspect is advised to contact crime stoppers ...'

      'What's wrong?' Sarah asks, rushing into the room.

      'Nothing,' I say, panicking, slamming the off switch on the TV so hard I almost send the whole unit flying off its stand. 'Just people being killed overseas.'

      'Those poor people,' Sarah says. 'Is there something we can do to help them, Jase?

      I shake my head distractedly and walk out the front door of the flat, my phone in my hand. I dial Spike's number.

      'Did you see it?' Spike cracks up when he picks up the phone.

      'Fuck, man, don't laugh. This is really bad. What do I do?'

      Spike chuckles uncontrollably; he's already obviously well cooked even at this hour. 'Relax, man, everything's fine. I saw that footage air last night – what you just saw was a repeat. The footage is blurry as shit and the camera doesn't even capture your face. I only recognised you from your clothes.'

      'I dunno, man ...' I make a mental note to throw that hoody out first opportunity I have.

      'It's fine,' Spike says. 'Kev and I have already talked it over. If they'd identified you, they'd have already picked you up – it's not like you're not known to police.'

      'You reckon?'

      'Of course, man. You're fine.'

      'Fuck, I hope so ...'

      'Personally, we're a bit hurt you didn't call us soon as you saw him.'

      'Hurt?'

      'We could've come and helped you out.'

      I sigh. Despite Spike's confidence, I'm not entirely convinced that I've gotten away with it.

      'Well, it's not like I had much time to think,' I tell him.

      Spike grunts in agreement. 'Anyway, good job, man. We're all proud of you.'

      'Thanks,' I say, feeling no pride whatsoever. 'Hey, Spike man, who else knows it's me in the footage?'

      'Just me, Kev and my cousin,' Spike replies. 'Why?'

      'I just don't want others finding out. Can you keep it just between you guys?'