Chapter 16

I arrive at Sarah's school at least half an hour late, coughing and wheezing. I ended up running the entire way after being held back in Humanities because the essay I handed in the week before had exactly the same structure and conclusion as the one Lily handed in.

      I'm only slightly offended Mrs Poltick accused me of cheating – which is totally not my fault as Lily was the one who volunteered to give me her essay as a template when I told her I hadn't had time to work on mine.

      I stop at the school gate for a minute or two, to catch my breath. I survey the school yard but can't see Sarah anywhere. Hoping like hell she hasn't already gone home, I enter the school grounds, which appears pretty deserted. There are a few kids with parents standing near the front of the school, but Sarah doesn't seem to be with them. I decide to check around the back, just to make sure she isn't playing on the oval while waiting for her immature, unpunctual, idiot brother.

      As I round the building, I notice a group of laddish-looking younger kids mucking around. It's the three Fredrick brothers – the borderline, sociopathic, juvenile delinquents from around our flats that Sarah and I saw throwing rocks at a cat not that long ago. I ignore them as I stride past and continue around to the back of the building.

      I spot Sarah sitting on a small bench next to the climbing frame, all alone, bent over with her head in her hands. As I approach, she looks up and I see that her eyes are red and puffy, like she's been crying. I rush over and sit down next to her, wrapping my arms around her. 'Sarah, Sarah, what's wrong?'

      She tears herself away, upset and annoyed. 'Where were you?' she accuses. 'Why are you late?'

      My heart clenches. 'I got held up. I'm so sorry, Sarah. What happened?'

      Sarah begins crying again, big fat tears rolling down her face. 'Sarah, please, what happened? I'm sorry, please just tell me what's wrong. I can fix it. I'll help you fix it.'

      Through wet eyes, Sarah looks at me. 'Those Fredrick brothers are being mean to me,' she sobs. 'Calling me names and saying stuff about Mum.'

      My jaw clenches and my fists tighten. 'Sarah, what did they say? What did they tell you?'

      'They said Mum was a loser and that we were losers as well, and that when Mum died it wasn't an accident at all, that it was really ...'

      I put my hand over Sarah's mouth, my heart pumping, my thoughts going at a million miles an hour. 'It's okay,' I tell her softly. 'It's okay. I'm here.' I reach into my pocket and pull out five dollars, placing it in Sarah's hand. 'Go down to the milk bar on the corner and get yourself an ice cream or something. I'll go talk to the Fredrick boys and see if we can sort this out.'

      Sarah gradually stops sobbing and wraps her arms around me, hugging me tight.

      'Thanks, Jase,' she says. 'You can use your words a lot better than I can.'

      I cough a laugh. 'Exactly. And as long as you use your words, people will understand. But, Sarah, you've got to understand the Fredrick boys are liars. Don't ever listen to anything they or anyone says about Mum.'

      Sarah nods. 'Thanks, Jase,' she says, looking at me with those big eyes. 'I know you'll make them understand.' She turns and begins walking across the school grounds towards the corner store.

      I watch her go, satisfied she'll be all right. Hopefully she'll forget the whole thing in a day or two. I sigh deeply – time to deal with the Fredricks.

      I shake my arms to loosen them up a bit and head around the corner of the building to have a 'talk' with the Fredrick brothers.