Chapter 22

I knock on Blackjack's door. His mum opens it. She looks a little surprised to see us but lets us both in.

      'Ah, Jason, love, Jack's not here. He's out with a girl from school. Is his phone stuffed again?'

      I tell Blackjack's mum what's happened and she sits us down and makes us both a cup of tea. I ask if she can take care of Sarah for the night, until I work out what the two of us are going to do. She agrees without the slightest hesitation and insists that Sarah and I are welcome to stay in her house for as long as we want.

      'But where are you gonna to stay tonight, love?' she asks, looking worried.

      'I'm staying over at my girlfriend Lily's place tonight,' I lie, getting ready to leave.

      Sarah, although too quiet for my liking, seems to have recovered a little. The initial shock of Robert's words seems to have worn off and all she wants to do is lie on the couch in front of the TV. I know she's in safe hands – and will receive more care and comfort here then I can offer her right now.

      I kiss Sarah and Blackjack's mum goodbye.

      'I'll come back round tomorrow to pick up Sarah if that's ok?'

      'Are you sure you don't want to stay as well dear?'

      'Thanks, but I promised Lily,'

      'Ok,' Blackjack's mum bites her lip, 'take care.'

      I head down the stairs and out into the street.

                                                                                        ******

As planned before all the shit with Robert, I meet Lily at the station. She's in an upbeat mood and seems unusually oblivious to how I feel, which suits me just fine.

      We grab a couple bottles of clean skins from a dodgy local bottle shop, and catch the first train we can to a couple of suburbs away where Gemma is having a free house.

      We bang on the front door and Gemma lets us in and takes us through to the back, where seven or eight girls and a couple of guys sit, drinking and chatting while the Tame Impala blare in the background.

      We sit down with them and begin chatting. I know a few of them from school, but they're mostly Lily's friends. Lily's still in a bubbly mood and spends the whole time on my lap, fiddling with my hair. Shots are brought out and the music gets turned up, but I find myself getting more and more anxious as the clock ticks closer to fight time.

      I take Lily aside. 'Lily, I'm not feeling too flash at the moment ... I might go home,' I tell her.

      'Aw, really?' she says, disappointed.

      'Yeah, it sucks.'

      'That's okay. Just let me get my things.'

      'No,' I say, maybe a little too forcefully. 'You stay here, enjoy yourself.'

      'It's okay, Jase,' she says, smiling. 'I need to take care of you.'

      I take her by the shoulders and look her in the eyes. 'Lily, stay here and have fun. Please don't ruin your night on my account.'

      'Fine,' she says, looking slightly taken aback.

      'Cool.' I kiss her on the lips, making her smile. 'I love you.'