Chapter 18

I meet Lily at the school's front entrance after the last bell has rung. I haven't been to school all week and haven't seen anyone since I met with Robert and the social workers. Lily comes out surrounded by a group of girls, including Samantha and Gemma, and runs up to me, throwing her arms around me and kissing me.

      'Hey.'

      She takes my hand we begin walking home. We dawdle down the street excited to spend some carefree time with each other after all the drama we've been through in the last couple of weeks.

      Lily tells me she's been doing okay. She's still banned from going out on weekends due to the row she had with Dianne after I stormed out at dinner, but apart from that she's happy.

      'Sorry again for that.' I squeeze her hand.

      'Don't be stupid.' Lily grins. 'A big fight had been building up for ages before that, you just helped trigger it.'

      I tell her about the meeting and how Sarah and I will continue to stay with Robert.

      'That's the best outcome you could have hoped for,' Lily says.

      'Seriously?'

      'Yeah, of course. He didn't cooperate with the cops in prosecuting you, did he? The charges got dropped.'

      'So? He hates cops.'

      'He's trying to make amends for the situation,' she insists. 'This is him waving the white flag and apologizing.'

      'You really think so?'

      Robert has never been the apologizing type.

      'Of course,' Lily nods, knowingly. 'He's reaching out to you. How've things been since you moved back in?'

      I think about it for a moment. 'I dunno. Things have been weird, I guess. Everyone's tense around the flat and neither of us know how to behave towards each other.'

      'Yeah?'

      'Yeah and he's started cleaning and organising everything ...'

      'Cleaning?'

      He'd even tried cooking one night, burning the food so badly he almost triggered the fire alarm.

      'He keeps going on about wanting to have a happy, healthy household.'

      'You see?' Lily confirms. 'He does want things to change.'

      'Yeah, either that or he's putting on a show for the social workers.'

      'Jason ...' Lily scolds.

      'What? I'm serious. That's more likely.'

      'How's Sarah coping?'

      I sling my arm around Lily's waist. 'She's loving it, loving the changes. But it won't last. Just give it time and he'll find a way to fuck things up.'

      'Come on, Jase ...'

      I look Lily up and down. I love the shit out of her, but she's blissfully unaware of some of the realities of the world.

      Robert isn't going to change. Robert will never change.

      'Anyway,' I switch the subject, 'what are you up to this weekend? I wanna go out with you.'

      'I can't,' Lily groans, squeezing my hand and staring sadly into my face. 'I'm grounded, remember. But guess what?'

      'What?' I mumble, burying my face in her neck.