Chapter 3

"Good bye, mom", I plant a light kiss on her forehead and pick up my bag.

"Good bye sweet heart. Will you be back in time for the bible study this evening?" She asks immediately and I roll my eyes.

Great!

"No, I think I'll pass."

"It's the first one in the month. You won't have to attend the rest." She prods and I wish she'll just drop it.

"Look mom, I'm very busy. I'm sorry I can't make it." I hurriedely spew before I notice from the way she looks at me that she is disappointed; again.

"Okay, but go with God." I cringe a little at that and roll my eyes.

To be honest, I believe God left our lives long ago.

I don't say this out loud to my mom though, because I know how high she holds that guy and I don't want to burst her bubble.
I just don't buy it anymore.

With a fake smile, I just nod and head for the door.

Swinging my keys in my hand, I jog down the marble steps that lead out of our house and stride swiftly toward my BMW parked in the garage.

Once in the car, I fling my leather bag on the passenger seat and turn the ignition.

The car gears into life and I turn the steering wheel backing out of the garage through the gates and onto the road.

Humph, Go with God.

Just look at all I've been able to accomplish, and alone.

Who got her that beautiful house she lives in? God?

While she was busy depending on God, dad died.

While she was busy depending on God, I had to apply for a scholarship to enter the school of my dreams because she couldn't pay the fees.

How dare he try to take all the credit when he has done nothing to help.
All these years I've slaved night and day in order to make a fortune and he did nothing to lift the burden. Nothing.

He just sat in his comfortable throne and had a good laugh.

The warm salty liquid escapes my eyes and trickles down to my lips and I wipe it angrily away with the back of my free palm.

Gosh, thinking about him just makes me want to scream and break something.

After a few minutes, the hospital building  gradually winds into view.

Inside the parking lot, I navigate the car to the executive parking lot, the security officer on duty politely tilting his hat as I drive through.

As I approach the glass doors leading into the hospital, the security officer offers to carry my bags and pushes open the doors for me.
Immediately, I am met by my secretary; a rather timid girl I must say, who clearly hasn't had a very wide working experience, holding a lot of paper work which I suspect is for me to sign.

"Good mornng Ma'am." I just nod without answering.

"There was a couple that arrived last night and they have a surgery due tomorrow.
There is also a lady who said she has an appointment with you today by 10:00am. 
Are you aware of that ma'am?"

"What's her name?" I continue walking, keeping my eyes trained before me as she tags along.

"She calls herself a Mrs. Granely." After a few seconds, the name actually rings a bell.

"Okay, I do remember now. Send her up to my office immediately. How many appointments do I have today."

"Precisely nine ma'am."