Chapter 17

"Thank you all so much for coming." I smile and hug aunt Talia while waving at Sam and uncle Tom who are standing behind her.
I'm so glad they all took time out of their busy schedules to be here.

"We wouldn't miss it for the world sugar." Aunt Talia smiles warmly at me.

"Thanks Aunt, this means so much to me really." I smile back making eye contact with Sam who winks at me from behind, causing me laugh softly.

Uncle Tom walks over to me and gives me a pat on the back.

"There's my favorite niece, even though we're not related at all."

"Thanks Uncle, I'm really flattered." I chuckle.

"It's really good to see you all again. I've been too busy with work to have time for anything."

"It's okay dear. We understand, Tomi and Sam are like that too." She rolls her eyes at the both of them and Uncle Tom laughs as he returns to her side and slips an arm around his wife's waist.

They are so adorable ; like mom and dad used to be.

I reach for Tomi's hand and squeeze it before mouthing a thank you and she squeezes back.

"Where's Max?"

"He couldn't make it with us. He'll be around later." She smiles sadly.

"How is Natalie?" Aunt Talia pipes and my face falls, remembering their reason for coming in the first place.

"She's doing well. I'll take you to her. Come on, follow me." I lead them to mom's ward and push open the door as quietly as I can so as not to disturb her.

She is propped up on the bed, her Bible open on her lap and her head bent reading it when the door creaks as I open it.
An awkward but radiant smile breaks out on her face once she notices the people behind me.
Aunt Talia rushes past me to her friend's side and hugs mom but as carefully as she can (I notice) so as not to hurt her.
Uncle Tom joins his wife at the side of the bed before reaching out to stroke mom's hair tenderly.

The stroke somewhat paralyzed the left side of her body and slurred her speech a little I tell them not to pressurize her into speaking much.
That gives Aunt Talia the license to do all the talking. She loves to talk

After Sam and Tomi greet mom and give her the flowers they brought with them, I step aside with Sam to do some catching up.
It's been a while since we're even this close to each other to have a conversation.

"Hey troublemaker." I smirk and punch his arm playfully.

"I'll pretend that was painful, so, ouch." He scrunches up his nose and rubs his arm faking pain.

"So, what are you trying to say? I can't throw a decent punch?" My eyes narrow playfully into slits and almost immediately, I feel Tomi's presence beside me.

"You can't Maya so give it up." She cuts in laughing and Sam joins her.

"Tomi, you're supposed to be my best friend." I wail, moaning the very unfortunate turn of events.

"I see you've grown up, no longer the victim of my tricks. I have Tomi here to do the job for me." Sam says still laughing.

"Tomi's much nicer at it than you were though." I pout which makes them laugh harder and I smile wryly enjoying the scene.

A few seconds later, my phone rings and I excuse myself to take the call.
My heart skips a beat and warmth rushes to my cheeks once I see the call is from Brian.

I swipe the answering button and press the phone to my ear.

"Hey." I grin and fumble shyly with a lock of my hair thanking goodness he can't see me.