Chapter 23

The past few days have left me groping for words with which to express my feelings.
I've seen things I never thought I'd see in my entire life even in the afterlife (if there's something like that).
When mom was discharged from the hospital, the doctors said that she may have to use the wheelchair all her life and her face and speech would never go back to normal.
As a sadly as it sounded, I understood perfectly because I mean she refused the surgery that would have corrected a lot of things.

Today, after work, I went as usual to check on mom and I got the shock of my life. When she looked up from her Bible, I noticed something spectacular.

"What in the world?!" I dropped my mug of coffee and it shattered into splinters on the floor, spilling the hot liquid all over the floor in front of my legs. Thank goodness I was wearing my fluffy rabbit slippers, if not my toes would have been scalded.

At the sudden sound of my mug crashing, my mom jerked violently in her position on the bed, pushed aside her Bible frantically and tried to pull herself forward and come to my aid in order to make sure I wasn't hurt.

"What are you doing Maya?" She was at the edge of the bed now, about to get off.

I wasn't about to let her stand up without a wheel chair because that could lead to so much damage so I beat her to it and stopped her before she made any drastic moves.

"No don't, you're not with your wheelchair!" I insisted, gripping her shoulders and searching her face, the tears welling up in my eyes.

"But what was that for, why did you drop your mug? Don't you know you could have hurt yourself?" She scolded.

"I'm sorry mom." I sobbed.

"But what is it honey? You're acting strange." She cupped my cheek in her hands.

"Y...your face mom. It's, it's....."

"Calm down honey. I can't understand you when you're crying like this." Her eyes held deep concern and I'm sure she must have thought I was going crazy.
I fought to calm myself and regularized my breathing enough to talk to her.
After a few seconds, may be a minute, I was finally calm enough to speak.

"Your face mom, it's normal now." I sniffed.
"A...and your voice....it's no more husky or broken. It's just…normal now." Her eyes widened in realization and she touched her face and her neck and looked back at me, smiling in surprise.

"It's…it's true." She said, and I nodded, smiling and sniffing. "Can you get me a mirror?"

"Okay, I will." I stood up and made my way to the bathroom door. It didn't take me long to find one and I hurriedly returned and handed it over to her. She took it and held it up to her face. Her eyes widened even more as she touched every part of the left side of her face one after the other, laughing each time. I just stood there with tears cascading down my eyes as I watched her admire her face.

"What did you do? How did it happen?" I prodded her with questions.

"I don't know Maya, but what I do know is that God has answered the prayer I have had since I got discharged." She laughed and I shook my head.

"I don't know what agreement you and your God had but you are going with me for a checkup tomorrow. We need to find out what happened." I assured her with a pointed look.

"Okay, if you'll accept that God works miracles after that." She laughed.

"Maybe, just maybe." I gave her a watery smile and got up.
"Stella is on her way. She was delayed at the supermarket."