Chapter 22

Ryan's POV

"I like a boy"I said in the most serious voice that I could ever muster.

"And"my mother said.

I tried to read my parents expressions who were sitting across from me on the dining table, but couldn't.

I have always been very open with my parents about things that I take very seriously in my life even when I started dating Monica I told them, in the same setting that we are in right now, while we were having dinner, they have known monica all their life because she was my friend for like forever.

But they were not very enthusiastic about the relationship not because they didn't like monica its quite the opposite, my mother actually treats her like her own daughter but they were not on board with the idea of us dating because firstly they thought that we were too young at that time to be in relationships and secondly they didn't want any of us to get hurt or damage our friendship if the relationship goes downhill.

Lucky for them and me none of that happened.

I appreciated their concern and discussed it with Monica, she also understood their point, so for the most part when people assumed that we were dating, we were actually not.

Even though everyone including Monica and I say that we dated for one and a half year, but in all seriousness we dated for about six or seven months and during that time also we never did more than holding hands or occasional hugs, we went out on a few dates but for the most part our outings included our friends, and all these signs actually made us realize that we were better off as friends.

So, when it was time for us to apply for colleges and go on separate paths we "Broke up" on mutual terms.

And after Monica I have not dated anyone till now.

It's not like I am hung up on her, maybe at one point of time I had romantic feelings towards her but not anymore.

Even when Monica and I had decided to part ways I told my parents, and again they were more than supportive of our decision. Because of their support it comes naturally to me to tell them about my feelings.

So when I returned from monica's home, Rosa was setting up dinner on the table, while my father and mother were talking in the living room, as soon as my mom saw me she said" Oh ryan you're back I was about to call you to check if you were having dinner at Monica's"

"Nah, Let me just go take a quick shower then I'll join you guys on the table "I replied.

"Okay, we will wait for you "my dad said.

I nodded and went on to take shower, No point in arguing them to start without me because I Know they won't, because dinner is the only time all three of us sit together and talk about anything and everything.

And as we were eating it just felt right to mention about kanan to them even though there was nothing going on between us, I just - I just wanted them to know.

And Now I don't know what to interpret from the single word my mother has said in response to my "I like a boy" confession.

"And I mean I like a boy.......more than friend like uhmm" I cleared my throat and said "romantically".

"Do we know him "my dad asked.

"No"

"Is he in your college "my mom asked.

"Yes, he is my junior"

My dad sighed making my mother look at him, while I sat there waiting patiently because I knew my father had something to say, "Soooo does he not like you back, do you want me to hire someone to kidnap him and bring him here"My father said in an extremely serious voice making my mother laugh out loud and me chuckle at his stupid attempt to joke to ease my nerves.

"Uhmm he does not even know that I like him "I told them sheepishly "I only came to terms with me liking a BOY today itself"

"I understand why you wanted us to know, but you should know by now that the gender of the person you like does not affect the love we have for you and it never will "My dad said making my mother nod along with him.

I smiled at them thankfully; no words were needed to show how grateful I am to have them, because I know that they know.

When I wished them good night my mother hugged me and said" I hope the boy you like reciprocate your feelings, he will be very lucky to have you"

I hope so Ma, I hope so.