Chapter Forty-Six

The goddesses understood true power and unlike the gods, they were not afraid to use it. The gods were weak and obsessed with creating a perfection that did not exist. They tried everything to limit the power of the goddesses. Much like the males in this society now. But like the goddesses, women are much superior to males. We will make it our mission to overthrow any male leadership. All men must know their place in this world. They are beneath us. We were shaped after the great goddesses. Women so powerful that the only way the gods could weaken them, was to cowardly flee from their responsibilities over this world. The goddesses were not perfect and they never pretended to be. Neither are all of their creations. We are all tainted. The gods were so scared of their imperfections and powers over what went against them, that they painted the goddesses as villains. But we should all worship them. They are the true power and we are their daughters. Worship us because we are your saviours. We will lead you into a prosperous future and protect you when the goddesses return. For they shall be angry at the gods' cowardice. If they return and see that the males still have control over Vivelle, then they shall spread their wrath across this world. They shall clear it of all those not worthy. Only the Daughters of the Tainted shall remain. Protected and given a prosperous future. A future where we never have to bow to men again. Where instead, we will rule over them and they shall worship us for the greater beings we are.

~The Daughters of the Tainted Holy Text.

The camp is finished. Tents are erected around the trees and shelters built. On the small patch of stones that make up the little beach in front of the lake, a few large logs have been placed around a fire. Myself and the Red Guard all sit around it. There are a few centaurs standing around it too along with us, Adam included. There are also the few Mer and Sirens who came up to the surface with us. I can hardly keep my eyes off the Mer or the Sirens and neither can most of the other people here. They are so enchantingly beautiful with their glittering scale-covered bodies. They are like nothing anyone of us has seen before.

"It has been so long since we looked upon the world of the Landfolk," one of the Siren's say as she sits down slowly. Like the others, she isn't very confident on her two legs yet. I smile as I look around the camp, seeing everyone together.

"What's your name?" I ask.

"Lavanna," she replies. Her voice is so soft and delicate. Every word and sentence is like a song.

"It's nice to meet you," I smile at her. She beams back at me but doesn't say anything else. Wyatt sits next to me and throws his arm around my shoulder, pulling my body into his. I lean against him.

"You have your three armies," he says to me. I nod my head.

"Yeah," I reply with a long sigh.

"I know, there's more work to be done," he replies. "The Centaurs have told me about the deal. You know just the eight of us could easily sneak into one of the mines and do what needs to be done," he tells me as he points at the seven Red Guard members who now gather around us.

"I have no doubt about it," I say. Merissa sits down next to me and pulls me away from Wyatt and into her arms.

"Oi," Wyatt complains.

"You've already had your hug," she replies. I laugh.

"Now now, no need to fight over me," I joke as I give Merissa a hug. Merissa is one of the strongest women I know and the only women ever to be allowed into the Red Guard. She isn't particularly tall or muscular but she is fast. Very fast. Both with weapons and when it comes to running. She is a blur who even Fallon struggles to keep up with. Though that wasn't the only reason she managed to get a place in the Red Guard. They are more than just a military force. They are spies when they need to be. No one can weave, lie and manipulate as she can. She just has a way of reading people and getting close to them. They are naturally drawn to her.