fifteen | quarrels and quidditch

ginny

"I swear," Ginny ranted to Hermione, "that boy is going to...UGH." She let out a gurgled sound.

Hermione smiled at her. "He's just trying to keep you safe, Ginny. I respect that."

"Of course you do!" Ginny groaned.

Harry Potter, that idiot. Ginny was completely over his hero mentality, him trying to keep her safe.

"Gin, just go to tryouts," Hermione said, "you're going to be late."

Ginny grabbed the biscuit halfway to Ron's mouth. "See you all later."

Dean reached his hand out and gave her a hi-five. "Good luck!" Then he pulled her closer; "Try not to murder Harry, ok? He's pretty worried about you. Talked about you all night, by the way."

She smiled at him and nodded.

The fact that Harry was worried and just trying to protect her didn't change the fact that she was completely annoyed.

Jason met her in the hallway with the broom that McGonagall had given him. He was smiling brightly. "Ron and I worked yesterday after dinner. I've got this, right?"

Ginny smiled. She'd never seen anyone as confident on a broom as Jason Grace. He just seemed to thrive in the air.

"Of course you've got this! You're already better than most of the team last year."

"But not you." Jason smiled.

"Oh, buddy." Ginny smiled. "You'll never be better than me."

"Oh, sure." Jason laughed. "Keep dreaming."

They arrived at the pitch, Harry was already coordinating students into sections depending on what they were trying out for.

Ginny already had a guaranteed spot. She and Harry were the only ones with those spots. As the best chaser last year, she was supposed to be the 'dummy' for today's tryouts. Harry would watch and choose those who would take the remaining spots; the beaters, keeper, and two chaser positions.

She took note of his sunken eyes and sullen frown. He looked terrible.

"Potter!" Jason smiled at Harry came over- slowly.

Harry didn't make eye contact with Ginny, but smiled at Jason. "Hey, man. Chasers over there." He pointed to a group of people all laughing and shaking hands with each other. Michael waved and gestured for Jason to come over.

Jason thanked Harry and went to stand with Michael.

He turned away from Ginny and said, "If you'd head over to the hoops, we can get started."

He didn't even wait for her to say anything. He just left, marching over to the other positions and letting them know what they'd be doing.

Ginny sighed and went to the rings. She mounted her broom, but before she took off she felt a hand on her back.

She turned and saw Bianca di Angelo smiling at her. There was no way the girl didn't get her keeper position back, but she did need to be standing with her group.

"Bianca, you should probably-"

Bianca cut her off. "I heard about what happened last night."

Ginny inwardly groaned. How did people already know? "How did you find out?"

"Those third years were all chatting about it. I overheard at breakfast."

Ginny swallowed. Soon everyone would know, she was sure even the twins would find out somehow. She closed her eyes. What happened between her and Harry was not something she wanted her brothers finding out about, even though there was no way Ron didn't already know.